Michell RB-250 Arm for Era 444

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Recently got a vintage Era 444 turntable w/o arm. The table is a French design from the 1970s and evidently well thought of at the time. Now I'm considering various alternatives for arms. The SME 3009 II comes up a lot. Looks a bit tweaky to me, especially with my all thumbs skill at even basic stuff like mounting new carts. But the Michell modded Rega RB-250 looks like a winner. I've had a lot of experience with Rega stock tables, beginning with the Planar 3 which I upgraded to a P-3 myself (yay!). Never was happy with it but I learned a bit about installing motors and rewiring. Moved on to a P-7, then a P-1, thinking that the latter would free me up from having to be fussing all the time. Currently working with AR XAs with a new one on the way from Vinyl Nirvana. But I have this Era 444 on the back burner for a DIY project and wondering about arm options. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Brento

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Recently got a vintage Era 444 turntable w/o arm. The table is a French design from the 1970s and evidently well thought of at the time. Now I'm considering various alternatives for arms. The SME 3009 II comes up a lot. Looks a bit tweaky to me, especially with my all thumbs skill at even basic stuff like mounting new carts. But the Michell modded Rega RB-250 looks like a winner. I've had a lot of experience with Rega stock tables, beginning with the Planar 3 which I upgraded to a P-3 myself (yay!). Never was happy with it but I learned a bit about installing motors and rewiring. Moved on to a P-7, then a P-1, thinking that the latter would free me up from having to be fussing all the time. Currently working with AR XAs with a new one on the way from Vinyl Nirvana. But I have this Era 444 on the back burner for a DIY project and wondering about arm options. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Brento

The SME 3009 II is one of the least fussy arms to set up and use that I have ever encountered. (I have several) Not SOTA by a long shot but very synergistic with the Denon DL-103 in a UWE body or a ZU/Denon DL-103.

Yo, SME it is!

Yes, it seems to be unanimous. Just bought one on eBay. Luckily I've got some heavy DIYers in my crowd. They're encouraging me more and more to go on ahead and get my fingers dirty. Save a LOT of money and then have some confidence that spending big bucks is not the only way to get fine sound.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The SME 3009 II is one of the least fussy arms to set up and use that I have ever encountered. (I have several) Not SOTA by a long shot but very synergistic with the Denon DL-103 in a UWE body or a ZU/Denon DL-103.

Late to the party i am.

I've owned at least a dozen 3009 (and a few 3012) ... a love/hate relationship. Given a choice i'd choose an RB250.

I've only seen pics of your ERA, but we sold 100s of a lessor model in the late 70s. Should be a nice table if all tidled up.

dave

Well, I'm wanting to get away from Rega and try something else. As I've said above, I worked with several Rega tables and they gave me the idea that vinyl just wasn't worth it. Then I picked up an old Technics SL-23 and that restored my confidence. Since then I've been playing with the old AR XA's. I LOVE the simpicity of these decks, not to mention the sound. One you get the awful old arms set up with a good cart like a Sure, I have to say there is a great deal more engagment than you get with Regas. I've got an AR XA on the way from Vinyl Nirvana which was refurbished by Dave over there. I have high hopes there.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.