Mic cable as single ended interconnects

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Any thoughts about using ballanced mic cable for long interconnects in a single ended setup, like what to do with the screen? Is it best left floating? attached to signal ground at one end?

I'm just curious about noise pickup through interconnect screen and if there are any advantages in using a ballanced cable in this way instead of a coaxial one in runs of around 5 metres.

No, it'll provide less shielding unless the shield acts as ground for both; which some equipment that's ok and others it isn't.

Coaxial shield doesn't stop noise so much as it takes advantage of skin effect, for audio. It's because the shield, the return, is also playing the impedance game among other things for single ended.

Balanced on the other hand take advantage of a low impedance path for the shield so it actually attenuates and differs noise to a high level.

The properties of balanced cable is a bit different, so I wouldn't expect them to work necessarily.

Connecting a shield at one end to ground provides a drain, but no attenuation to speak of so it's uses are insignificant compared to what balanced does...

Thanks i normally only use coax, there are some who claim great things about pseudo balanced interconnects where the screen is connected to ground at one end but they don't all agree on which end.

I thought it was probably just another load of rubbish but if anyone here thinks differently, please let me know.

It seems quite a number of cable manufacturers sell pseudo balanced interconnects, Chord being one of them. The only advantage i can see is that i could use cheap mic cable which has low capacitance. That could be an advantage with 15 foot inters.

Hi Fi Terminology » The Chord Company

If you scroll down to - co-axial cable, Chord say they feel that analogue signals can be better carried via a pseudo balanced configuration cable. I notice they dont attempt to explain why they "feel" this to be the case.

Cheers Speedskater, i was never much impressed by RCA phono connections. It's about time we moved on, when folk spend good money on equipment it should include the option to go fully balanced.
As for unbalanced RCA interconnects, Bill Whitlock is very vocal about 'abandoning unbalanced interconnects ages ago.

Did you check out the youtube video i linked to earlier?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=DOoyrsi6ctk
Just looked at it now. Not very informative.

Henry W. Ott spends many pages on shielded interconnects in his book "Electromagnetic Compatibility Engineering".
EMC Books

While different experts have different views on how balanced interconnect shields should be connected Tony Waldron has a good case for connecting the shield at both ends..

'Tony Waldron's Audio & EMC ranting and ravings'
Tony Waldron's EMC ranting and ravings

davym said:
I've read posts on here where it was claimed that running signal cable alongside power cable had no negative effect.
That is true, provided that the signal cable has either a good quality shield (unbalanced connection - and assuming no ground loops) or a very tight twist (balanced connection with high CMRR).

That video shows 2 volts imposed on an unshielded signal cable by an adjacent power cable.
Unshielded? See above.

I found that quite informative.
Unsurprising.

Unbalanced connections are usually fine for domestic audio, provided they are short and you use coax and you don't hit problems with ground loops. Longer connections should be balanced and use twisted pair.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.