• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Merlin's new hi-fi valve preamp book is released

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Please share if you will the procedure that you use to connect and operate the Rigol DS1102E oscilloscope. From text in you book it sounds like the AP-1 has an output (sans the 1K Hz fundamental) that connects to channel 1 or 2 of the DS1102E oscilloscope.
Correct. The AP1 has a distortion residual output (called 'processed signal'). I plug this into one of the Rigol channels. After setting up the FFT I then turn off the signal display, so only the FFT is visible on the Rigol. It's a very simple setup, but I would argue that I have presented far more real-world performance information than other competitor books have, AFAIK.

Last edited:
Valve Rock Star

Merlin,

You present a persuasive argument.

You are a Valve Rock Star. The Figures in your book appear to be the product of hands on bench tests or graphs produced from by the applicable mathematics.

You present the theory, the math tools and the test results to drive home your lessons learned.

At this point I get the theory and the math. Sometimes the math is tweaked is to fit the test results. Empirically we create a constant to adjust the mathematical model to better fit the test results (curve fitting). Sometime the test results help me understand the theory better. To me it is about the process.

Thanks Merlin, keep on rocking.

DT

Last edited:
Just discovered these books today as this Sunday I repaired my DIY SET Amp based on a Tubelab SSE Design, and... now I would need a Tubed Phono Pre-amp for my gf's vinyl setup.

Why, oh why can't we get the book in glorious colours just as the sample? The diagrams look so clean and beautiful in the sample.

And Merlin... that power supply book, man... we need another one. :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.