Meridian 101 recap

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi Simon

Thank you for your comment.

With the new psu on the 101b, the CD53 is singing even better than before... it clearly outclasses the TT is severall aspects... bass control and depth, overall attack... Only in the highs the TT excels...more sounstage, better high freq definition... it needs a jfet RIAA ;)

Hopefully Lee will help me with the jfet and boards soon...:angel:

Ricardo

Joined 2006
Paid Member
SimontY said:
It's impressive that your CD53 is not only keeping up but is in some ways outdoing the TT. Are you still thinking about building some kind of discrete pre-amp in the future, such as the Pedja Rogic one?

Yes Simon

I already ordered some pcb for pedja buffer.... but I must study the thing very carefully.

It seems the pedja buffer is a "pure" voltage follower without gain and the LN4562 on the output of my pream has a 6.5x gain.

So I do not know if I can replace the LM4562 rig with the pedja buffer as is.

I am quite confused here.

Maybe you could explain the differences.
What pot are you using before your buffer (Resistance ?)

Regards

Ricardo

Joined 2006
Paid Member
So I was right... the pedja buffer has no gain.... I can not replace the LM4562 output stage on the Meridian by a buffer with no gain.

I need at least x6 gain.

I will try the new metal can opamp and report the evolution.

At the same time I will build the buffer only for the CDP.

This is becoming a major modd :D

Ricardo

Joined 2006
Paid Member
SimontY said:
20K. I use the Pedja buffer. I don't need gain because I only use a CD player and a computer fed via a DSP - each has plenty of output to drive the power amps, the buffer just makes it sound better.

Hi Simon

How is your 20k pot implemented ?

Do you have a balance pot as well ?

Why did you choose 20k instead of 10k ?

Ricardo

Joined 2006
Paid Member
To mee it seems like the stock pot on the 101 is of bad quality or badly worn.

When playing at very low volumes, the balance must be set to the left to equalize the output.

Maybe I do not need two pots after all.

Note:
Today I replaced the 27k loading the benz cart by a 37k. (The difference is quite evident)

I like the wider soundstage and the fuller bass. I dislike the stridency on high piano notes and I would like to have a better bass control.
"Arrested because you have a dog and arrested because you don´t have a dog":wave2s:

Maybe I could place there a variable resistor and fine tune according to the vinyl quality. Do you know if a high quality 50k variable resistor (mini pot) exists in the market ?

Ricardo

Blue Alps - yep. I've read the same thing about Vishay resistors many times! They're said (by us fanatical types - I include you here, Ricardo) to sound clinical and dry, but detailed. I think there may be better choices for sweet sound... but this is my preference - I prefer an old CD player, open baffle speakers, and parts that give a euphonic but detailed sound. To each his own.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi Simon

I also prefer detailed euphonic sound. That is what I am (fanatically :magnify: ) looking for.
That´s why I chose most of my mods based on your experiences.
I also got kiwame on the DOS !!!

What is your oppinion about Shinkoh tants ? (Salas uses those for loading his cart)

Note:
Just for the record.... adding some extra weight (blutak) on the cart headshell improved bass detail and widened the soundstage.

Maybe I need a different (heavyer/ stiffer) arm:D

Ricardo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.