Merged thread of demo songs, tracks and CDs

Most modern recordings are done with far too many microphones which are mixed into some artificial mess which doesn't sound very real at all. At the same time there are many old mono recordings done with just one microphone which capture the acoustics so realistically that one can hardly believe it is mono. Using the same method with modern recording equipment should be able to give a very good result. Still, a stereo recording can of course be much better, if they can just keep it down to two or maybe three microphones and do minimal mixing, as was done with many of the early stereo recordings. Some still do it that way, but not many.

I agree 1000%

good recordings

The best and the real recording I ever heard is an amateur recordingl, with just one mic and portable DAT recorder to catch some acoustic traditional performance........ can believe my ear!!

Yes, sometimes less is more. There are a lot of recording engineers in love with the gear, but divorced of the music. :(

A recording with nice ambience is Cowboy Junkies ¨Trinity Sessions¨ cd -a bonafide reviewer´s classic-; it was recorded via a pair of Calrec microphones, Ambisonic processed to a DAT, in a little chappel, if I remember well.
The electric instruments are played ¨plugged¨, so in some instances you`re hearing the speakers of the guitar amps...; is a nice experience, ´cause the recording is good and with lots of ambience.
Another good example of different recording techniques is the Cowboy Junkies compilation ¨Studio-Selected Studio Recordings 1986-1995¨ http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000002X1J/102-6853074-2590556?v=glance&n=5174

With good insight in dissimilar studio work, and has some excerpts from ¨The Trinity Sessions¨

"Anything by Joni Mitchell."

How about "Don Juans Reckless Daughter"? And especially for fans of Jaco Pastorius. Deep, lush, snap and pluck of strings, tight drum, soaring horn, amazing depth - blah blah - ... it's almost exaggeratedly dynamic (is that possible?). Always been my favorite album for testing/showing off. Never bought the CD though. I'm almost afraid I'd have to be disappointed.

I enjoy using Metallica's And Justice for All cd. The songs And Justice for All and Eye of the Beholder need good speakers and amp hooked up to them or else they sound like badness when played loud. Its hard to explain what it sounds like when its played through bad equipment, but it distorts the bass.

Flim & the BB's "Tricycle" off disc of same name, great dynamic range!

Dire Straits "Your Latest Trick", "One World"

The Roches for vocals, along with Diana Krall.

I also really like James Taylors October Road disc, especially Track-9, "Carry Me On My Way".

I love the DVD of Stings performance in Tuscany entitled "All This Time." Excellent Recording...too bad his audio discs don't sound half as good.

Sometimes, when testing equipment, I'll put on a couple of songs that I've noticed over the years having some "odd sounds" in them. Example: "I Don't Know Much" from Aaron Neville and Linda Rondstadt. In the beginning of the song you can here Aaron licking his lips. Also, in the same sorta weird way, there is a track on Natalie Merchants "Ophelia" disc...#5 "My Skin" that has some sort of weird noise (at times) just under the surface. Breathy, in a way. Not sure what it is. I know...I'm weird:xeye:

No you're not wierd. Those little imperfections are exactly what adds to the realism of a recording.

Check out Eve Cassidy's "I know you by heart" youll hear a clear poping on the left channel that reminds you of an old LP at first but it's actually her long fingernails on the guitar.

A more "commercial" engineer would have dubbed over it. As it stands it is an outstanding recording. Very real sounding.

Re: Only one?

haiqu said:
Béla Fleck, UFO TOFU, track 6 - "Ufo Tofu"
Great track. I tend to use "Sinister Minister" from the (double) "Live Art" (Béla Fleck and the Flectones) - or sometimes the next track (Hippo) where Béla is playing the audience...
Or, "Easy Money" from "Rickie Lee Jones" (Rickie Lee Jones)
Or, "Everybody Play the Fool" from "Warm Your Heart" (Aaron Neville)

But there are some many to choose from that I tend to take along a number of disks and then also let the shop dudes try out their tracks as well.

Wow, this thread just veered very close to me.

I just picked up Flim and the BBs "tricycle" for a buck at a thrift shop two weeks ago and was just showing it off to my brother a couple of days back. It was one of those, "sit back .... are you ready for this?"
moments. Turn up the volume just enought to maximise the "startling" effect when the instruments come in. The liner notes indicated that they made this recording with just that idea of showcasing dynamics.

And as if that wasn't enough, up comes the mention of Talk Talk "The Colour of Spring". Heard "Life's What You Make It" on the radio in my first year of college in 88. Raced out and bought the CD (at that time having to agonize over buying the cd or the vinyl) and it practically became the soundtrack to my college years. How wonderful it is to find others who loved it like I have.

Flim & the BB's

bluebeard said:
Wow, this thread just veered very close to me.

I just picked up Flim and the BBs "tricycle" for a buck at a thrift shop two weeks ago and was just showing it off to my brother a couple of days back. It was one of those, "sit back .... are you ready for this?"
moments. Turn up the volume just enought to maximise the "startling" effect when the instruments come in. The liner notes indicated that they made this recording with just that idea of showcasing dynamics.

And as if that wasn't enough, up comes the mention of Talk Talk "The Colour of Spring". Heard "Life's What You Make It" on the radio in my first year of college in 88. Raced out and bought the CD (at that time having to agonize over buying the cd or the vinyl) and it practically became the soundtrack to my college years. How wonderful it is to find others who loved it like I have.

Try "FunHouse" off of their Big Notes album, if your subs will stand it...