• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

mercury vapor... i love it!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ever since coming across these tubes (before I was thinking about building an audio amplifier) I wanted to build a lamp of sorts from one of them. I just love the idea of the glow. Now I'm glad to know the glass will protect from UV.

I did build a night light out of a small VR tube that glows orange (from Neon possibly?). I still wouldn't mind trying it if I could get the items I need to make it happen. I've got an 872a wrapped up in the closet, as well as a few 3B25's (believe those are Xenon?) that I bought for the HV supplies of some tube amps that I have (part of an electromechanical carillon).

I somewhere found something about x-rays and these tubes.

With the voltages used in our audio work, X-rays are of no concern. Even with levels of 1500 or 2000 volts. At around 10KV soft X-rays will start to be produced. These are just what they are called...soft, with little power to penetrate. Hard X-rays begin around 25KV and require some form of protection like leaded glass (as in TV CRTs) or external shielding. MV rectifiers eschew the use of copper in their construction to help prevent X-rays.

Victor

Thanks, Victor. That makes a lot of sense to me. I was quite puzzled by the x-ray info but figured there must be some level of truth in it. Your answer clarifies that and is very helpful. I'd love to be able to hear the difference between the MV and Xenon rectifiers...

Carl

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.