Mercer Island DIY Meet

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Everbody,

I'd like to announce that the Pacific Northwest Audio Society is sponsoring a DIY Meet to be held on Saturday, September 26, 2009 at the Church on Mercer Island, WA (about 6 miles east of Seattle). The "Club" will have a system, or two, set up in order that whatever you bring can be played.

This is not a contest, rather an informal "Run what ya brung" meet, where people will be encouraged to try out their equipment, meet and talk to like minded individuals, and hopefully get ideas for future projects.

We hope to open the doors at about 10:00 am and wind it up at 4 or 5 pm. If you've never been to one of these events, I can only say they're a lot of fun and a great way to spend an hour (or all day!).

I'll be posting more, such as directions, in the future as things progress, but you still have time to finish up any incomplete projects that you might want to share. Preamps, amps, speakers and just about anything Audio is welcome.

Best Regards,
TerryO

As always, look forward to it.

Right now I only have my TMM's and the 3-ways to bring. The only thing new will be the paint on the 3-ways -- maybe someone will notice. ;)

If I get time, I hope to have a pair of DR-2's with a tweak to the crossover. Also maybe the bookshelf pair of R/S drivers that you listened to one of this spring.

- DR

Terry,

Gary asked if I would be interested in bringing a pair of EnABL/d Fostex 127's and a pair of clean 127's, both in Fonken cabinets. I did not have much to do with either speaker set, but if a blind test was of interest to the club and attendees we could set it up.

And then I still have to call you for that private audition I was going on about. Likely shortly, as it seems the unNW weather is finally moving on, to roast the rest of the country.

I can provide two sets of cables but do not have a switch box to allow one amp to drive both.

Bud

firechief said:
Wow Terry
So long and not a one reply, well I will break the cycle. Just down the road from you and will plan on stopping by. I will keep an eye on this posting.
Bob

motherone said:
Barring any unforeseen complications, I will definitely try to make it. It'll be a nice break from the usual headphone meets I attend :D

Sorry it's been a bit since posting.
I hope both of you can make it, it should be a lot of fun.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Dave R said:
As always, look forward to it.

Right now I only have my TMM's and the 3-ways to bring. The only thing new will be the paint on the 3-ways -- maybe someone will notice. ;)

If I get time, I hope to have a pair of DR-2's with a tweak to the crossover. Also maybe the bookshelf pair of R/S drivers that you listened to one of this spring.

- DR

For those that may not know Dave, he's one of our past Champion Speaker Builders, as well as having the blessing (burden?) of being an authentic 200% Norwegian! His speaker designs are always well thought out and a delight to listen to.

Best Regards,
TerryO

BudP said:
Terry,

Gary asked if I would be interested in bringing a pair of EnABL/d Fostex 127's and a pair of clean 127's, both in Fonken cabinets. I did not have much to do with either speaker set, but if a blind test was of interest to the club and attendees we could set it up.

And then I still have to call you for that private audition I was going on about. Likely shortly, as it seems the unNW weather is finally moving on, to roast the rest of the country.

I can provide two sets of cables but do not have a switch box to allow one amp to drive both.

Bud

Bud,

That sounds like a great idea! I'll see if we have a switch box somewhere that we can use. Do you want to demo them at a regular club meeting, as well as the DIY Meet?

The weather been killing me. I need to do some work on my place, but I just run out of energy pretty quickly these days. So there's no rush on the audition

Best Regards,
TerryO

planet10 said:

After 55 years i just discovered i'm a full 1/8 Norwegian descent... if that was indigenous it would qualify me for 1st nations status :)

dave

Dave,
I can fully understand the heartbreak and feelings of shame that must accompany the shocking revealation of, what obviously was, your family's darkest secret.

My condolences and heartfelt wishes for a speedy recovery from what could only have been a devastating and total emotional collapse.

I'll get together with Dave Rosgaard and see if we can't put together a couple of recipes for Lutefisk. Lutefisk may not change your situation, but it will remind you that there are worse things in life, although other than Lutefisk itself, I'm not aware of what they might be.

Best Regards to you in your darkest hour,
Terry Olson

Hey Terry

I'm working on convincing Lori that we need a road trip to Seattle that weekend. Of course, I'll pay for Saturday on Mercer in Nordstrom's on Sunday, but what the heck.

If we make it, d'you think it would be worth the hassle at customs to bring the curvey Harveys, or will there be far too many speakers there already?

Regards.

Aengus

Hey Terry

I'm working on convincing Lori that we need a road trip to Seattle that weekend. Of course, I'll pay for Saturday on Mercer in Nordstrom's on Sunday, but what the heck.

If we make it, d'you think it would be worth the hassle at customs to bring the curvey Harveys, or will there be far too many speakers there already?

Regards.

Aengus

Aengus,
I don't know if the new format is responsible, but I just saw your post. I used to get a notice if someone had posted to diyAudio on a topic I had subscribed to, but evidently that has been changed.

Anyway, I'm not sure if you'd have a problem with customs, it certainly wouldn't seem that you're attempting to conceal them. You might want to take a picture of them being loaded at your house, especially if your camera can place a date stamp on the picture. Otherwise they're so nicely built and finished that they're sure to think that a high-end company built them! I'd hate to hear that they had to use the rubber hoses to gain a confession.
:eek:

I have no idea how many speakers will be at the event, but I can tell you that single driver speakers are very under-represented at the speaker contests, so I'd say to just bring them...they will be a special feature of the event.

BTW: I just finished addressing the envelopes to send the copies of the "White Paper" that you signed up for. I should be sending them out tomorrow.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Road Trip

Hi Terry,

I have what I am sure is somewhat common inquiry. Will there be an organized DIY tube amp shootout at the meet? If there was, I just might make the trip. My entry, the Audio Augustus Imperator, needs to eat crow and be shown it's not the best.

But maybe it is!

We'll never know without a judged shootout, will we?

Hint hint

:)

Hi Terry,

I have what I am sure is somewhat common inquiry. Will there be an organized DIY tube amp shootout at the meet? If there was, I just might make the trip. My entry, the Audio Augustus Imperator, needs to eat crow and be shown it's not the best.

But maybe it is!

We'll never know without a judged shootout, will we?

Hint hint

:)
Just saw this posting, I hope it's not too late. Bring your amp and we'll try it out. The club will have a couple Genesis I60 tube amps and there may be others (I hope so!).
The judges will be the spectators.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.