Meguro MAK-6581 Audio analyzer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
MAK-6581 Instruction Manual

Hi,
I found this

https://elektrotanya.com/meguro_mak-6581_service_manual.pdf/download.html
in which there is a lot of details :) including settings, HPIB, Schematics...

I also have a MAK-6581 and actually it is not the most intuitive to use but it is a good device.

Greetings.
Sylvain.

Hello Demian,

I suppose the MAK-6581 is a completely different beast but I'll take the manual anyway as it might at least help me understand the basics of how these work :)

I translated that japanese page and sent the guy an email.

I have been looking for this manual for years but no luck. I have emailed Meguro many times but no reply.

I cant believe I'll never get my hands on this thing :(

I just got a reply from Meguro saying that they never provide or sell any Service Manuals.

I then asked if I could send my unit in to have it fixed by them and they said they wont work on it (nor calibrate it) because it is a discontinued model, and that I should buy their newer units.

This is bad comapny policy in my opinion. I must say that Im really surprised a big measurement manufacturer like Meguro has such a bad customer support and I wouldnt buy any new product from them since after a few years it will just become completely unusable. :--

Joined 2004
Paid Member
That is typical of the Japanese instrument mfr's. They have let service info out but are really reluctant to do so. If the instruments were not so well made I would not go near them. However they are usually very high quality.

I have another analyzer from Shibasoku that I want info for but their response is to "buy a new one". However they don't make as high a performance instrument today.

Good luck. Let us know what you learn as you work on it.

Thanks Demian for the help.

Yes, their response basically told me to just get their latest model and forget about my unit.

I pretty much prefer getting stuff from companies that sher the info they have when they wont no longer service a product. Hiding useful information from customers to make sure they cant get their equipment fixed (when they could just realease the information for free, not extra costs involved since they already have the document) doesnt sound like a good long term plan. They wont force me to get a new one from them at least, as I will certainly just go for another brand which will offer me a better long term support.

This is also not a very old instrument, since it was released in 1992. I mean, Keysight will still calibrate instruments much older than that! I suppose Meguro is forcing some planned obsolescence.

When I see another Meguro ou any other japanese test instrument, I will certainly stay away.

I'll let you know how it goes when I have on my bench :)

SylvainH:

Thanks for sending me the link to the manual for the Meguro MAK-6581. You mentioned that you have one of these units and I agree that it is not a user friendly unit. For example: When I turned on the unit all the lights came on and stayed on. The manual troubleshooting section said the to "press the CPU reset switch". But I could not find that anywhere. It took me a long time to figure out that the switch is in the hole on the side of the unit. Terrible instructions.

I also notice that (for example) when I set the output level to 0.775v at 1kHz and measure it on the meter, the level doubles to 1.55v. Other levels such as 1.23v also doubles at the output to 2.46.

This is strange. Can you check your Meguro to see if it does this also? Pleasse let me know.

Mando...

Audio1:

I also have a Meguro MAK 6581. When I turn on the unit all the lights comes on and stay on. The troubleshooting section in the manual said the to "press the CPU reset switch". But I could not find that anywhere. It took me a long time to figure out that the switch is in the hole on the side of the unit. Terrible instructions.

I also notice that (for example) when I set the output level to 0.775v at 1kHz and measure it on the meter, the level doubles to 1.55v. Other levels such as 1.23v also doubles at the output to 2.46.

This is strange. Can you check your Meguro to see if it does this also? Pleasse let me know.

Mando...

Joined 2004
Paid Member
The Shibasoku AM70A does the same thing with the actual voltage twice the selected voltage. its about the 600 Ohm load that may or may not be there. On the AM70A it switches at 3V just to make things more confusing.I have read that in Japanese culture there is a value to conquering complex technology which seems to have spurred the creation of difficult menus and controls. Just what we don't need.

I would like a copy of the 6581 manual for my collection as well.

1Audio:
I don't understand the second sentence in your reply. That's a strange one.

So are you confirming that the output of the Meguro MAK-6581 being doubled like I explained previously is correct? if so, now that is confusing..... I thought something was wrong with the unit.

If you message me your email address I can send you a copy of the MAK-6581 owners manual.

Mando..

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I ran into the confused output level issue on the newer Shibasoku. The level shown is correct IF its terminated with a 600 Ohm load. This is not normal practice for audio and not even for mot RF applications. However once you know what to expect you can work with it. Its useful to have a 600 Ohm termination available. It will get even more confusing if you are writing some automation for the instrument.

I'll PM you my e-mail but you are not set up to receive PM's yet.

1audio:

I solved the level issue today. I did not realize that I had to place a 600 ohm load on the input. I discovered that after reading through a Panasonic VP-7721A audio Analyzer manual. This unit is very similar to the Meguro MAK-6581. And manual is much better than the Meguro manual. Luckily I have a Leader Dummy Load, and I confirmed the reading. Without the 600 ohm termination the unit would read 6dB higher than what the digital readout is showing.

If anyone need the Panasonic manual they can message me.

Mando..

mak 6581

1audio:

I solved the level issue today. I did not realize that I had to place a 600 ohm load on the input. I discovered that after reading through a Panasonic VP-7721A audio Analyzer manual. This unit is very similar to the Meguro MAK-6581. And manual is much better than the Meguro manual. Luckily I have a Leader Dummy Load, and I confirmed the reading. Without the 600 ohm termination the unit would read 6dB higher than what the digital readout is showing.

If anyone need the Panasonic manual they can message me.

Mando..

You can send the Maguro 6581 manual to me at

Audio1:

I also have a Meguro MAK 6581. When I turn on the unit all the lights comes on and stay on. The troubleshooting section in the manual said the to "press the CPU reset switch". But I could not find that anywhere. It took me a long time to figure out that the switch is in the hole on the side of the unit. Terrible instructions.

Mando...

If you measure the output level of the MAK 6581 with its own meter, then you will measure a higher level than you've set on the output level from the generator.

This is because the meter has a high impedance input (100 kilohms.)

The generator has a 600 ohm impedance output. The generator output level is calibrated with a 600 ohm load attached to the generator output.

A 600 ohm generator driving a 600 ohm load will have an output level of half the output level with no load.

The 100k input impedance "looks like" an open circuit from the point of view of the generator, so the output level is about twice what it would be if the generator had a proper 600 ohm load.

Attach a 600 ohm resistor in parallel with the meter and the generator, and you will measure the output level that you set on the controls.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.