Mechanisms of distortion in ribbon loudspeakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
a.wayne said:

This focus on diaphragm weight is not that big a deal as many would think. we are already dealing with a very light diaphragm , there are other bigger issues..

.. With the case of the Heil -T , the diaphragm is focused in such a heavy field i do believe mass is not it's Achilles heel , but more a problem of the reflective energy within such a fold ...

I do not believe mass is an issue at all for ribbon loudspeakers at any appreciable thickness. The figure we are interested in is the total mass of the system, which includes the mass of the air behind the driver...which pretty much means the mass of the ribbon is insignificant.

Mx said:
I like the idea! I'am also active crossover fan (analog and digital), so you have my attention. If you do that, please post something.

Probably I'll never attempt it because i cannot find an EFFICIENT heil or true ribbon for the task. Need 95+dB.
I'm now considering normal (above woofer) mounting of either of great heil/beyma/kithara, or going more extravagant with a Rubanoid.

@ Thadman Mass is issue when you're trying to design ribbon with greater sensitivity. And if having uniform field means less magnetic induction, then lighter membrane becomes a problem especially for quasi ribbons.
@Telstar You can also try Rall ribbons.
Best regards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.