McIntosh & Rubycon

I have a couple of vintage McIntosh preamps, a beautiful C46 (a real gem and favorite of mine) along with an interesting CR12 I picked up from a fellow who claimed it fell victim of a power surge. I've recapped both; the C46 I was surprised how many of the caps have drifted, some significantly - now, I know this wonderful preamp is gaining in years, but I wasn't expecting the kind of electrolytic drift I was measuring across the old caps. Needless to say, great improvement, and I redid it using Vishay audio electrolytics, which I find absolutely excellent. It is a big improvement now having it operating as it should.

The CR12 on the other hand, unique piece. When I received it, it barely turned on, caps in the power section were bulging and hot to the touch! I thought voltage regulators, but just replaced everything and it brought it back to life. Added new lamps (old were blown) and score. Now, recently I took it a bit further and removed the output board, basically 4 output stages on one large board and shocked to see the state of the caps on that. Some of them were measuring in at pF range - totally shot, baffled at how the thing even produced a listenable sound.. I just completed the entire board, 60+ caps, many 10uF, and what an experience - I have it feeding a couple of stacks of equipment all running in my workshop. Despite being basic from an audio standpoint, it produces a great sound now.

Now, the question/topic. All caps Rubycon. I always thought of Rubycon as in a similar range as Nichicon, but are these caps suspect? Did McIntosh take a bit of a wrong turn with Rubycon? Working on Mc gear is just a pleasure.. Maybe akin to working on a mercedes.

On the C46, I also did some audiophool stuff like teflon caps on the phono stage, added solid core silver wire as power jumpers - but won't get into that too far to avoid the debate. I was extremely fortunate to be able to have received a replacement encoder from Mc for that unit since the old one was damaged - suspect from the previous owner pulling off the knobs, bending the optical disk inside.

Rubycon, are they a con?

Last edited:
Pics

Attachments

• IMG_9380.jpeg
    IMG_9380.jpeg
    628.9 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_9381.jpeg
    IMG_9381.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_9383.jpeg
    IMG_9383.jpeg