• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

mc275

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Madmike2,

YES - as long as it hasn't been "improved" or the cosmetics are in poor condition. At that price the tubes should be in good condition, notice I didn't say brand new.

You can expect to replace most of the resistors as they will be out of tolerance. At least on every single one I have restored they are. They sound great once gone over. There are a few caps that may be in poor condition. These things are all expected in an amp this old.

Listen to it first.

-Chris

Well i am not going to be a knob and keep it to myself. If anyone cares this guy has about 8 peices of McIntosh stuff. He is BJ pawnbrokers on queen at Church street in toronto. Old Greek guy with a ton of old gear in there. I wont be able to swing the coin to buy it unfortunately. I mean i can buy it but then i have no money. :D

North east corner of Church and Queen on Queen beside the Pizza place. I saw minimum 30 peices of gear in there that caught my attention. Tube pre amps and amps. Old style radios. Some seriously massive amplifiers. a couple brystons.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Madmike2,

Keep in mind it's over 30 yrs old. It is going to need some work and it might not "do it" for you.

Find out what they are going for so you can sell it if you need to. Try and talk him down a bit. He's in business to sell them, not stock them. You will need to service it after all. Some tubes at least.

I would feel better if you heard one and decided that you did like them. For the record, when working to spec, I do like them. I just refuse to pay market rate for these.

-Chris

It works....he wanted to know if i had one for sale since he assumed i was looking to make a pair of these to bridge mono since there are people that do that. And i like the 'mac' sound. I had MC30's before.

I saw a bit inside but i am not going to lie and say i know what to look for. I dont. But it looked good. I didnt notice any blatant cut and welds and all the tubes seem to glow the same dull brown :p

For 1000 buck i am seriously considering gambling on it. I still have to finish paying the carpenter for all my cabinets :p This could be a war between my left and my right shoulder sitters. The right guy always wins though since he is willing to cheat. Hard to beat a dude in a red leather suit :D

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Madmike2,
Give it a shot. I like the MC275 after a rebuild. Yours sounds like it is in near original condition.

As I've said before. It is normal for most of the resistors to be out of tolerance. The plate resistors on the phase splitter should be matched (noted on schematic) and that make a difference too. I put in higher wattage units.

This one is a keeper once freshened up to original specifications.

-Chris

$1000 cdn. for a MC275, is practically free. It could be sold on audiogon for far more, if you decided not to keep it.

It would sell on audiogon for about $1500 US, is my offhand guess. As high as $1800-2kUS. I've turned down re-issues, new in box, for $2300US. It all depends on the market of the 'moment'.

A quick $650 never killed anybody....well, that would be a lie....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.