Maybe you didn't know yet about this DCX, DEQ killer from RANE !!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For about 1k USD you can buy this very promising all in one solution:

RPM 26z Programmable Multiprocessor

Have anyone of you test this RPM26z from Rane and can give us a feedback? This seems like the best kept secret for me and I'm wondering why nobody say a word about it yet. I put this here because such an equipment is essential for a multi-way system, like the good old DCX2496. And, being a Rane, quarantes good quality and no need for expensive mods etc.

I've been lusting after a DEQX for a long time, but cannot justify the $4k expense.

For 1/4 the price, this looks like a good option, though it is limited to 48 khz sampling (which is probably good enough) though I would like to have the deqx's 96 khz.

What I'm not certain about is whether this unit uses IIR or FIR filters. I want the FIR for the higher slope, and I also must have flat phase response (call me crazy) which IIR based devices cannot do.

Anyone know what kind of filters this has?

3 to 4 times the price, less flexibility in terms of setup, and no control from the front of the unit... Yeah, i think behringer is the winner here. There are some better parts to the unit, but not $900-1200 better. lol.

Please read these from specifications;

Output Trim range +16 to -30 (plus mute & polarity invert) dB ½ dB steps; gain above unity is digital, attenuation below unity is analog

So, bye bye to all those active/pasive output mods of hundreds of $$$ for the crappy DCX!

For about 1k USD you can buy this very promising all in one solution:

RPM 26z Programmable Multiprocessor

Have anyone of you test this RPM26z from Rane and can give us a feedback? This seems like the best kept secret for me and I'm wondering why nobody say a word about it yet. I put this here because such an equipment is essential for a multi-way system, like the good old DCX2496. And, being a Rane, quarantes good quality and no need for expensive mods etc.

So, you title a thread called 'dcx, deq and deqx killer', then turn around and ask if anyone has heard it?

By definition it cannot be a killer from your perspective can it.

Second, do you have any idea of what the deqx does??? I had a glance at this product, nothing similar at all (tho it is admittedly more in keeping with dcx etc).

Leave the deqx out of this, perhaps rethink the title of the thread, and you may have a point...tho even from the dcx users a few points are being raised.

maybe you simply have an anti behringer bent? (not saying that is right or wrong, but it seems to get to the bottom of your posting)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Well to be fair the DCX has its problems. I have not used a DEQX that I remember, so don't know. Have used other Rane gear and found it quite good.

But the DCX sells well in the DIY community because of its low price, extreme flexibility and relative ease of modification. It's a combo that's hard to beat. The RPM does look great because of its more powerful DSP. The DCX is getting a bit dated in that area.

Last edited:
possibly pano, but this item has *nothing* to do with the deqx. If it is viewed as a dcx on steroids, fine. Well, it has nothing to do with the deqx from what I could see, maybe I missed something.

Still, I did find it odd that the OP labeled it one way, yet had never heard the product and was asking US for our opinions.

So, you title a thread called 'dcx, deq and deqx killer', then turn around and ask if anyone has heard it?

By definition it cannot be a killer from your perspective can it.

Second, do you have any idea of what the deqx does??? I had a glance at this product, nothing similar at all (tho it is admittedly more in keeping with dcx etc).

Leave the deqx out of this, perhaps rethink the title of the thread, and you may have a point...tho even from the dcx users a few points are being raised.

maybe you simply have an anti behringer bent? (not saying that is right or wrong, but it seems to get to the bottom of your posting)

Please don't take it too hard. You are right about DEQX, is something else indeed, but let DCX to have a real contender. I will change the title if I can.

I am using both DCX and DEQ and know very well its pluses and minuses. If we count the 270 euro of a basic DCX unit and another 350 euro for an "active output mod" will get about the same price as a Rane RPM26z. But the last seems to be a well engineered product from A to Z, not a perpetual wanna be as the case with Behringer.

In fact I have to pay my respect for DCX for what it was all those last 10 years, but maybe it's time to go on and put a new product on the market.

Attachments

• input.JPG
    input.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 183
  • 3way.JPG
    3way.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 185
  • PQ.JPG
    PQ.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 178
  • delay.JPG
    delay.JPG
    17.4 KB · Views: 47
  • deq.JPG
    deq.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 176
  • output.JPG
    output.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Well the great thing about the DCX is the digital section - and the price. The rest isn't all that great.

I would love to see Behringer update the DCX for around the same price. There is so much good, cheap DSP and memory out there these days that an update seems like a given. The RPM seems well stocked with modern filters and very flexible.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.