maxon motor controller for turntable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi

I'm building a DIY TT and I'm looking for a high quality DC motor controller.
Mark Kelly's versions aren't that easy to get hold of. Hagtech is developing one but I don't know how it's coming along. It shouldn't be to difficult to build for a novice eather...

Came across Maxons LSC 4-Q-DC Servoamplifier and ADS_E 4-Q-DC Servoamplifier.
Would these (or other Maxon stock controllers) be a good choice for a TT)

Hope someone can help (I'm planning to use a Maxon (type?) motor and belt drive.The platter will be aprox 15kg)

best regards

Last edited:
maxon controller for TT's

Hi Folks,

Assuming you are going the 110191 brushed motor route the maxon LSC 30/2 (pt no 250521) in IXR mode is probably the best choice of the standard maxon controllers.

It is an 'linear' (analogue) controller (all the other maxon controllers are 'digital' aka PWM) so will be electrically nice and quiet. Having said that the LSC30/2 has a number of features, of which some will not be required (4Q operation is probably unnecessary for example) so it is a possibly a bit of an overkill.

Regards
Jon Pippard
maxon motor Austalia

It work just fine without a tacho or an encoder. The IxR action is important. Long term stability would also be nice but i cannot see an encoder working well in this application without having control of what it does.

Of course a voltage regulator + IxR correction are easy to achieve with simple circuits.

IxR correction is just another way to say negative resistance output? You cancel the winding resistance to get firmer control of the back EMF (which depends on speed).

I suspect to be immune from oscillation some more sophisticated contol strategy is needed than just setting a negative resistance, some damping is required.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.