Marshall AVT 20 Loud Humming

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I KNOW THIS HEADLINE WAS POSTED IN 2012...buy,,i have a similar problem with a very loud hum as soon as i turn on my amplifier..Marshall avt20x.
I have changed the filter capacitors,,but alas,,no change,This hum does not vary when i try volume or other controls and is so loud i have to turn it off right away in case something else goes wrong..
I dont know anything about "cycles" in sound measurement,,but it sure is a very loud hum.

any help would be great..
regards
Andomando.

DC on a speaker can ruin it. So do check for DC. Visually, if you turn it on and the speaker cone moves one direction and stays there, then you have DC on the speaker.

If the amp makes DC, you won't get any guitar sound coming through. If your filter caps were bad, it would hum loud, but you'd still hear some audio.

marshall avt20 loud humming=2

Thanks to Tarzan from Belgium and Enzo from USA for your help about my problem.
I just want to ask ,where to connect my multi-meter leads to test the tda2050 chip at the speaker outlet.?do i connect to x & pos connectors or x & ground.
Im new to electronix ,

Before you fire up the amp with the new TDA chip, place a light bulb (40 or 60 Watts) in series with one of the ac wires coming from the wall ac socket.
This will eliminate a to high current if there is another major problem.
There is a lot of writing on the subject of the light bulb protection; google for it to understand the working.
If all is well, remove the light bulb and connect the amp direct to the ac wall socket.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.