Mark Audio CHR-70A.3 and HiVi M5N

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
You need to make the FRD file in your cabinet to get accurate effect of baffle step and diffraction. You can use someone else's FRD file but unless they have same baffle layout, your XO design won't be the same. If you have a sealed or vented box the ZMA file will be dependent on your box as well. That's the nature of designing XO's in the multiway world - it's all about simulating the XO and to do that you need the accurate native response of the driver running full range in your box design. Also, the FRD of the combined drivers with mic untouched needs to be acquired as well to calculate acoustic offset to get phase correct.

I think if you want to do this, get a calibrated mic and get REW. It will allow you to get the FRD and ZMA files you need.

You need to make the FRD file in your cabinet to get accurate effect of baffle step and diffraction. You can use someone else's FRD file but unless they have same baffle layout, your XO design won't be the same. If you have a sealed or vented box the ZMA file will be dependent on your box as well. That's the nature of designing XO's in the multiway world - it's all about simulating the XO and to do that you need the accurate native response of the driver running full range in your box design. Also, the FRD of the combined drivers with mic untouched needs to be acquired as well to calculate acoustic offset to get phase correct.

I think if you want to do this, get a calibrated mic and get REW. It will allow you to get the FRD and ZMA files you need.

Thanks, been working on that...At the time I needed the files based on T/S parameters to play with XSim. I downloaded JB's software and others, as to create the files using my designed enclosure, but what a pain in the neck! Getting there! I have a mic, not a really expensive one, but it will have to do for now, it is the one for smartphones. A real one is in Santa's wishlist, along with measurement software.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.