Marantz DV-12S2 - Damaged Pioneer OXX8003 optical pick up

Hi !

I noticed a breakdown on a Marantz DVD player which manifested itself by the following symptoms: squealing noises when reading discs and rare, brief sound stutters (video not tested).

I opened the device to visually check its condition and noticed that a small spring on the optical pick up (Pioneer OXX or OWX 8003) was no longer compressed by a small plastic part (circled in red) :

laser_diode_defekt-2.jpeg

To compare with a part in good condition (photo taken from the Internet):

laser_diode_ok.jpeg
I think the spring is rubbing on the bottom surface of the disc and slowing down its rotation. Does anyone know of a repair procedure or does the entire optical head need to be replaced?

Thanks in advance !

Thank you for your reply !

It's a very good idea !

I myself thought about an alternative means to compress the string and secure it with some sort of adhesive, but I couldn't precisely figure out which to use and how to proceed !

I managed to get in touch with pro repairer who accepted the job. Perhaps he have had the same idea. I will speak to him about your idea nonetheless.

I wonder if, by construction, this spring is riveted in compressed position with some sort of nylon rivet.

I also couldn't figure out what is the purpose of this spring ?

Something new: I found a part which must have been used to compress the spring. I think another piece had to fit on the other side of the cavity in which this spring was compressed.
I removed the spring and took a macro photograph of the optical pick up to clearly see how this part is made:

P1000283.JPG ressort+compression.jpg

Apparently there is nothing on the other side. The flexible printed circuit that we see at the bottom of the cavity in which the spring was located does not appear to have any components or connections that could be linked to anything.

What is this spring? Could this be a kind of security to slow down the rotation of a disc when the second part which compresses the spring releases (under the effect of a thermal or mechanical shock?) the part above, the flat part of which is found in contact with the lower surface of the disc?

If that's all there is to it, perhaps it is finally possible to do without this device altogether?

Does anyone skilled in the art have any idea of the function of this curious device?