Marantz CD80 stops spinning / garbled / skipping

Hi all,

So I own this player. Sadly when I wanted to use it after a year it has problems.

First of all it will randomly stop spinning. I can somewhat force it by skipping tracks, after a while it will stop when next or previous is pressed. But it happens during play as well.

Next it sometimes starts sounding garbled, also randomly. I feel this is related to the spinning issue, it might be spinning too slow.

Lastly, it randomly skips. Cds ate fine and next time I play the track it can be fine.

Is this a motor problem? Or something in the motor drivers? I'm not sure, cd players aren't my field of expertise.

Anyone care to chime in with thoughts?

Kind regards,

Bert

Have you cleaned the laser lens? If it does not help, the next tip is the spindle bearing plastic Torx screw (#10) at the bottom. There might be an indent due to wear. It can be made flat on a fine sandpaper and polished to be shiny. But then you have to adjust Focus Offset by measuring voltage on a test point and turning the screw.

I've opened the player and cleaned the lens with isopropyl alcohol. Makes no difference.

Can't find the screw you described sadly. Where would it be located?

With the lid off I can hear a mechanical sound whenever it skips. Like a clunking or ticking sound, as if something hard is bouncing off and ticking down. Really strange, never had a player do that.

I'm afraid it's game over for the player. I am nearly blind and can't service it anymore. It's not worth enough to send it to a shop.

Regards,

Bert

Don't give up, it is a very good player. Attached a photo of the mechanism from the bottom. It is accessible from the bottom of the player. It is the grey plastic screw. If you remove it, you can grind the surface flat and then you have to polish it on an 1000 grit sandpaper. I finish on plain white printer paper. Then you need the service manual and adjust the focus offset (electrical nulling at the test point) by turning the screw.

Attachments

• 20240122_150033.jpg
    20240122_150033.jpg
    305.2 KB · Views: 32
Thanks, let me check if this machine is similar.

Affter removing the cover I can see and hear more.

I can hear a noise from the mechanism when it's running. It's like plastic ticking or clapping. It does this every so often and usually starts skipping.

When it suddenly stops it doesn't just stop. It is actually spinning in the wrong direction for a short time.

Sometimes it suddenly and audibly speeds up, too fast. Or it slows down and the audio becomes noise. And then it stops.

It is a nice player but I fear this is above my level of expertise. It might be something as silly as cold solder joints or a cap failing in the power supply. It's real warm there.

My problem is that I have very poor eyesight because of an illness. A year ago I would have gladly done a restoration but now I think Sending it to a workshop would be far too expensive.

Regards,

Bert