Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

I blew one of these ICs when I carried out one of the 10 modifications. Mine was worse than yours as I could see spark and explode sound when I switched on the CDP :eek: I also mentioned this happening in this forum sometime ago. Later I found an unnoticeable short circuit by remaining solders being left behind. After that I always use contact cleaner to clean up the PCB and check by a magnifying glass before switching on.

Try eBay for the IC as it will be cheaper.

Yes, I found your post.
I will be more careful in the future with the PCB.

For replacement ribbon cables I believe the one for the front panel is 40pins while the one for the CD drive is 18 pins. I suggest you confirm it again yourself before buying.

They are available in eBay here:
flex cable from microsatacables | eBay

Unfortunately I can't find any Gold plated high quality ribbons in the web :( .

I think it's 15 pins cable.
No big deal. I will stick to my old one until I have finished modding the player. Then I will hardwire between PCB and Mech with high quality wires.

Hi Guys, Im thinking of adding a waveIO usb to I2s converter to a marantz cd80 so that it can be used as a dac and/or cd player. I am hoping that someone may be able to point me in the right direction as to if and how it can be attached?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is all new to me, as I am only a recent CD80 owner and intend on modding it asap.

Cheers
Greg

Yep, it's now obvious Q106 has blown.
I swapped Q06 and Q105. The same IC, now in Q105 socket, gets burning hot and the sled motor went mental.

I replaced the faulty Q106. But the player still doesn't work. Disc won't spin and read. All voltages on Q106 are correct.
But voltages on pins 7 & 8 of Q105 are round 0.2 v. I have tried to replace Q105, but it's still the same. I believe these pins are Lens ON and connect to pin2 of servo.
I have tried to hardwire the ribbon cable between PCB and Mech, but still dead.

Is this a example of a dead laser?

Hi,

The voltage at pins 7 and 8 should be 0V in STOP mode, the 2.5V is an error in the schematic (look how pin 8 is at 2.5V while it is connected to pin 1 which is at 0.0V). When a disc is inserted and the drawer is closed, these pins should become 5V and the laser is activated to read the disc. During this cycle the lens moves up and down. If no disc is found, the laser is turned off.

You should try the service mode to check if all the servo's are working.

Regards,

Ray

Hi,

The voltage at pins 7 and 8 should be 0V in STOP mode, the 2.5V is an error in the schematic (look how pin 8 is at 2.5V while it is connected to pin 1 which is at 0.0V). When a disc is inserted and the drawer is closed, these pins should become 5V and the laser is activated to read the disc. During this cycle the lens moves up and down. If no disc is found, the laser is turned off.

You should try the service mode to check if all the servo's are working.

Regards,
Ray

Hi Ray

When I insert disc these pins go up to 5 volts, then again down to 0 volts.

In service mode:
P 00: The lens moves outward when I press cue/review.
P 01: The lens moves constantly up and down.
P 02: Lens moves up and down - the disc motor starts to move clockwise but then switches and moves anti-clockwise.
P 03: Lens moves up and down - disc motor spins, but switches directions between clockwise, anti-clockwise - cue/review buttons move lens outwards and inwards.

When I press play in service mode I get the error: Err 02 (Focus error)

Looks like the focus-servo doesn't lock. This could be caused by a weak or faulty laser.

You can try to increase the current through the laser a bit by rotating the small trimmer on the laser slightly clockwise, and see if this helps.

It's still dead after rotating the trimmer. I guess the laser has died . I am surprised it lasted that long. Nearly daily use since 1997.

Do you know a good place to order replacement laser, besides Fleabay?

In the past few days one of my modded CD63 encountered skipping issue. The player will sometimes stop playing in a random track, once or twice for the whole disc.
What I did was to increase the trimmer value and now the problem is fixed. But I am sure the laser is approaching its end of life and I have ordered a new one from eBay for £ 13. So far I have no problem with those Chinese made products but I need to carry out some minor trimming and rotating cone height adjustment to make the laser work.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi Ray

Two years ago I moved to Switzerland and only now I could go back and fetch my uber CD53 that was left behind in a secure place. During that time I built a new preamp and power amp that are much more detailed than what I used before so no I can really listen deep into my sources... the CD53 plays very well but I can distinctly hear something I was not aware before.... while idling and also during low volume music passages I hear a strange hiss... more like high pitched hum... can this be coming from the dac ship ? Or should I look for trouble in the output buffer psu ?

Can the dac be sensible to electromagnetic induced hum ? (I have some TX placed really near it)

Can the DOS pick up hum from nearby psu's ?

The CD53 is so full of mods I can not imagine where to start....