Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

...so, Brent, just to recapitulate the decoder-story: You arranged everything as shown in the KI manual and then applied the clock signal to the (lifted) 390R resistor...?
You stated before that you removed some parts there and used a 1500pF cap....
I guess i'm running into trouble if i use a coax, because of its capacitance...?
Sorry, i have to ask because i'm not sure i understood everything and before taking the pcb 20 times in and out because something is not working....well....
Cheers,
Mickie

You may as well ignore the earlier 1500pF set up!
Lift the 390ohm res and feed the clock signal to it through a good 10pF capacitor. The coax does cause problems due to the capacitance yes. This way is perfectly stable.
You can apply this mod without removing the pcb. Add a little solder to the leg of the resistor and whilst its hot lift it out of the hole (I assume you already have a clock fitted to the dac)

Brent

Almost off topic but not quite, I'm about to order a couple of op amp for my CD67OSE (LM4562's), I'm also going to replace the op amps in my cambridge amp under advice to use opa2604's but given you guys like the LM4562's would you recomend I use those instead? I assume the LM's would be better but I don't know if that would be the case in all applications...

Your advice appreciated.

Tom

I agree with Ray. The 4562NA is a superb amp but sometimes can sound a little clinical. This depends on the capacitors and voltage rails feeding them, they also take quite a while to burn in. The ADs are a bit more forgiving. Please don't use the 2604 unless you like the sound of nails down the blackboard :eek:

You could try a lm4562ma and AD opamp (both smt) on an adaptor pcb. That's a pretty good combo. Or go the full distance and buy some Burson dual opamps, these are superb but also cost a lot more. Worth every penny though.

Brent

Last edited: