Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Glass has bad properties for audio, just like stone and other heavy things. The big players tend to have a heavier and more plodding bass, because they have a heavy chassis. Not facts, just my opinions. That big fat slow bass makes things sound expensive in a hi-fi shop - again it's just my opinion. The best thing is no chassis but second best is a rigid one, and perhaps incorporating some wood as wood, especially tone wood, has a good damped broadband resonance. Glass accentuates the top end and slows the bass, at least when used as a rack.

I've not noticed a ploddy bass with better chassis but you do get a deeper bass, old Philips / Marantz have a ploddy bass as standard and a heavy chassis but it's the psu and clocking that sorts that out.

I fully agree about glass, not the greatest material for audio.

Brent

Glass has bad properties for audio, just like stone and other heavy things. The big players tend to have a heavier and more plodding bass, because they have a heavy chassis. Not facts, just my opinions. That big fat slow bass makes things sound expensive in a hi-fi shop - again it's just my opinion. The best thing is no chassis but second best is a rigid one, and perhaps incorporating some wood as wood, especially tone wood, has a good damped broadband resonance. Glass accentuates the top end and slows the bass, at least when used as a rack.

With prose like that, Simon is obviously after a job with 6Moons :cloud9:

Andy

No really good ideas from me I'm afraid, there'll be no room inside for such niceties. Others have stuck a sheet of wood, marble, MDF, perspex on the bottom and feet onto that. Brent put metal bonding paste in between the extra SE/KI baseplate and chassis bottom and many people have put varying amounts of bitumen on the chassis and lid.

I suppose you could reinforce the sides with steel plating, that may leave some clearance for the lid to go over. Marantz do this themselves on some models.

If you've lost the lid I'm not sure what you'll replace it with but it's only a simple u-shape of mild steel. If you can fab something out of birch plywood or perspex you might be onto a winner. Some think the eddy currents a steel lid attracts harm sound quality on hi-fi gear. Companies like DNM use plastic boxes for this reason.

Simon

Perspex was my choice for the top and it's easy to fit wood cheeks to the sides. Trouble is perspex only comes in big sheets in DIY centers and about 70£ a sheet for a decent thickness. Plus I don't know how to cut it neatly. I was thinking as I think...to extend the side cheeks down so that they become "feet" at the same time. I guess for the top I should stick to some nice wood and drill out neat holes for ventilation (and looks). I suspect you are right; when all is done there will be no room to put wooden brace inside. I should have nicked the original one that was in the 63' I borrowed! I like the idea of getting rid of as much metal as possible. Just on principle...I'm still waiting for some feedback about those new caps Brent is using...other than "brilliant"!

Marantz Professional PMD320

Hi Guys,

I thought you might like to see my latest find.

It's from the Marantz Professional range, PMD 320.

It bears a striking resemblance to the CD63 but has sections for speed etc.

Considering it is aimed at the pro market, the component choice is low-end !

I bought it faulty ... the usual ... new CDM needed (from the many in the garage)

Andy

Attachments

• front.JPG
    front.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 141
  • inside.JPG
    inside.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 139
Hi Guys,

I thought you might like to see my latest find.

It's from the Marantz Professional range, PMD 320.

It bears a striking resemblance to the CD63 but has sections for speed etc.

Considering it is aimed at the pro market, the component choice is low-end !

I bought it faulty ... the usual ... new CDM needed (from the many in the garage)

Andy

I remember seeing one of these under warranty many years ago. I think it was a twin dac version of the 63 with a more std opamp output.

Brent

I remember seeing one of these under warranty many years ago. I think it was a twin dac version of the 63 with a more std opamp output.

Brent

Definitely "std" opamp output !!!

but in this version, only one DAC as far as I can see.

The left side of the board (servo , PS) is very like the CD63.
The other side is not.

I am not going to mod this machine - pretty pointless really.I'm in 2 minds as to sell it or give it my son for his disco setup. Any offers?

Andy

Perspex was my choice for the top and it's easy to fit wood cheeks to the sides. Trouble is perspex only comes in big sheets in DIY centers and about 70£ a sheet for a decent thickness. Plus I don't know how to cut it neatly.

Check on ebay. There's places there that sell smaller pieces (and cut to size) for reasonable amounts and they even do different colours.

Pete

Definitely "std" opamp output !!!

but in this version, only one DAC as far as I can see.

The left side of the board (servo , PS) is very like the CD63.
The other side is not.

I am not going to mod this machine - pretty pointless really.I'm in 2 minds as to sell it or give it my son for his disco setup. Any offers?

Andy

I'm probably wrong about the dacs, it was a long time ago ;)

Brent