Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Malefoda said:
Ok thanks Simon & Brent, in fact not in a CDP but wanna know your thoughts as LMExxxxHA testers ;)

I am using one of those metal can in my preamp. Today I replaced the +-15v regs by Spowers.

Brilliant devices :worship:

The opamp is the best I ever heard and really benefits from a good regulated psu.

The other big mod I did was bypassing the DOS output caps (4.7uF MKP Mundorf) with Russian Teflon Capacitor K72P-6 0.047uF 500V. This produced a noticeable increase in bass and trebble detail. Must try with 100nF FT-3 (The best of the lot).

Ricardo

RCruz said:

I am using one of those metal can in my preamp. Today I replaced the +-15v regs by Spowers.

The opamp is the best I ever heard and really benefits from a good regulated psu.

The other big mod I did was bypassing the DOS output caps (4.7uF MKP Mundorf) with Russian Teflon Capacitor K72P-6 0.047uF 500V. This produced a noticeable increase in bass and trebble detail. Must try with 100nF FT-3 (The best of the lot).

Ricardo

Kind words Ricardo ;)

Interesting what you say about those uber bypass caps. It may also be worth trying something like a Mundorf Supreme to see how that effects the sound.
I may try a 1:1 output transformer in the future to eliminate the need for caps, i'm not convinced i'll get any improvement over the caps but you never know.

Brent

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Thomo said:
I replaced a Mundorf Supreme with those Russian PIO's that Ricardo has, and it was miles better. May well be circuit dependent though.

I'm going to tag a couple over my supreme's in cdp output and see what happens.

Hi Lee

I bypassed the mundorf MKP with a Teflon Capacitor K72P-6 I was saving for the riaa circuit. I prefer the Teflon to the PIO.

The PIO gives some forwardness to the sound and creates a "Guitar effect" all over. It creates a big, singing sounstage but I prefer the teflon.

Teflon produces much more detail and a very deep bass.... trouble is the K72P-6 are so big I could not fit them inside the CDP.

Latter I will try the even bigger FT-3 teflon :smash: :smash: :smash:

RCruz said:

Ricardo

Will update my integrated thread soon but also now use HA there and must say I'm amazed!
And also use K40Y-9 and FT-1 Téflon in audio path, nothing ever got that "no-cap-at-all" sound before.

Yep and I think that too much is... too mcuh!
BTW, have some of you seen the lampizator website?
http://www.lampizator.eu/lampizator/REFERENCES/MARANTZ 63SE/marantz cd63se.html
What's your thoughts on "just vaccum output is better than anything else (means DOS)" versus "all is important and even a well capped DAC + clock + dedicated PSUs and LMxxx20HAs with BG around and no DC blocking caps" is better" ? Seems is vaccum cost is around 50€... compared to a DOS... don't know! Ideas?

Matthieu

Yes it did!!!
And I must admit I completely forget to thank you since, shame on me!
So Thank you very much! I owe you! My wife has new lovely stamps!
Unfortunately the Onkyo CDP I bought on eBay is faulty, I've been paid back but still have no CDP... its Toshiba DAC is a copy or near of the CD63's NPC... funny!
And yes use your russian wonders, even if the drawback for me was some noises from mircophonic behaviors of these caps each time I used them. (btw when stick my ear to the speakers at 2:00AM with a dead silence, I mean seen through my insane side ;) )