Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Hi Ray

Looking at the service manual this one is a MK2 with a different decoder section.

Yes i'm glad it's not a MK3 (apart from the nice tx they have). I will get the discrete working in here. Some of the smds will be made non smd lol.

Build is superb, the standard chassis (before all the extra bits bolted on) is thicker grade metal than the 63 67 stuff.

Brent

Yes there is also the two -4V v refs that take the supply from the -5V L/R digital so 8 regs maybe ideal but not yet lol.

It is a very different dac to the 63 one. And I'm looking forward to getting it all working to a proper level.

Tests with the discrete first and then transformer fitment.

CD72 cool loads to do there, I had a CD94 last year for repair and it had loads of voltage rails and chips. Sounded quite nice for its age, loads of bass weight.

Brent

6h5c said:

The drawback of a TDA1547... so many supply pins! You could use even more if you like :yes: :clown:. Is it also surrounded by voltage dividers in your CD17 Brent? I'm working on a CD72mkII and have the same problem :D.

Ray

And so is the CD950 from Philips.

Yes, 8 regs, that's the number.

I have a 11M Flea here, so I think it must be the next move, getting that into the CD950.

Hi guys!

Hope you're well and I'm here to post some very simple things I've done to keep my CD53 "up to date and neat" for now.
• Gold plated RCAs, look gorgeous, don't think it makes any difference but at least my CableTalk Brodcast3 fits thighter. Should bring what instead the OEM?
• More damping at the dead end of tray, a bit more damping is nice but I have to press and flatten it a bit for it's touching the frame and rattles annoyingly when the tray moves.
• One sheild on the DAC's top, one one the TX, both made from sheild used for RF noise one an industrial cards/PSU, under is plastic film and outer a layer if copper. Brings what beside the fact I've used unused material that should be not put to trash?
• Maybe the main upgrade is Vibrapod feet, my furniture is simple and does dance with music. I'm waiting for some more for my Integrated wich slants on the TX side with OEM feet :(

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Plugged all back, some hours later put a first CD and... find nothing new, maybe a bit harsh at the very begining (BG and friends not fully "ready"?). Finally not, almost nothing but a bit more focused on bass, wich are not at their highs withe the Quad 11L... anyway, Im' not fully used to the "Blu-Tacked" Quad now ;)

So that's it, what I should I have been waiting for with these upgrades?

Originally posted by rowemeister the transformer is the same as in the 63KI but thats not an issue as I will be riping that out.
Brent
Hi Brent, will you sell it then?

That's all for now folks!
Happy 10.000 Ray :)

Matthieu

Malefoda said:
Gold plated RCAs, look gorgeous, don't think it makes any difference but at least my CableTalk Brodcast3 fits thighter. Should bring what instead the OEM?

Hi Matthieu,

I found a little more detail and a slighter smoother sound from using the better RCAs. My old ones were quite worn and old, however.

The other mods weren't likely to do much, other than the feet, which won't neccessarily be a good change.

Simon

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Malefoda said:
Gold plated RCAs, look gorgeous, don't think it makes any difference but at least my CableTalk Brodcast3 fits thighter. Should bring what instead the OEM?

Hi Matthieu

Gold plated RCA´s with "real" teflon insulation really can make a difference but it only gets perceivable after some time. Cables and RCA´s must settle.

I think you should add some TX to your machine.... 1 TX for servo sregs and 1 TX for analog opamps.... That makes a really big difference.

Almost on the 10.000

Ricardo

Also,
will order BG from Lee's and wanna know if I should buy one or two to place in my CDP ( only got 4 of them around opamps).
Here is my setup, any BG around analog of DAC?

And wich value? I'm running lean these days, gotta save fuel... 47/16 or 100/16 or 220/16 std.
Lee, I want a discount as a good customer ;)

Thanks fellows!
Matthieu