Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

No, it's not madness, we're beyond that point already :yes:.
To illustrate: i'm going to pick up a Marantz SA7001 tomorrow :D

I like the Kiwames very much, I put the 5W version in the high section of my cross-overs. For the ouputstage I used Holco H4, a very nice metal film, and more affordable. I used them for my stepped attenuator too (even more affordable...). But as long as the Kiwames fit on the board, i'm the last person that's going to say anything about madness....

Regards,

Ray

Good evening fellows!
Update of my CD53 and as it's a CD53 and not a 63 maybe this is the best CD53 of the world lol ;)
Fitted my Flea (thanks Martin for free spare parts) and it's own PSU, got it fitted even if I've made a mistake (power is taken before the main switch! At least the clock starts before the CDP ;) ), got my tiny braces fitted and damped (so they stopped ringing), got the IC's sheilded (but the 3 small one on top PCB, the copper does not want to stick on it!), got the HF coax mod.

Before:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Now:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

About music: all better, I've a new player! All appears to be more natural, voices are real and not digital, bass got better, highs also. Like a veil is gone with a bonus on very nice mids. I need again some times to get used to my new CDP ;)

I think I will be happy now with a bit more "bite" on things such as drums wich I feel a bit smooth when it should be a fast & hard beat.
Will make a pause (maybe in days ;) ) on the CDP, room is really too small as now distortion is far less I listen louder... and room makes some humming. Maybe my good old Arcam 35W is also on its knees now.
Maybe will met some of you when make a new topic on how to improve my chinese integrated amp? For exemple I need to put some... anti-rust on the chassis as it's rusting... =) I think the preamp part with simple 78/7915 and NE5532 can be improved.

Whatever the way for my CDP now is in PSUs with 5V rails, super regs. Maybe AD5899 can help for bitten beat!

That's all folks for a while, my new baby (Rotary engine car) is coming.
Warm thanks to all of you, Jaap, Rowe, AVR, Simonty, Martin, Ray and many more! Peace and love!

(ps: funny this is the day i finished read all the posts! And tried the Jaap advice: lift a bit the flat cable wich disturb so much: works well!).

Shepp what was your question?

Navin,:D can you just see their faces!! somehow I don't think they care...the only one who might is that Ken character and I doubt if he would take the time. This is the cutting edge, they are back on the rubber grip...
Malefoda: my question was about the bipass caps on the opamp. I'm still fretting...is it necissary and what the best cap (in the world of course) would be!
You have done a lot of work on that 53! the braces is a nice idea.
Tell me please (I can't go back 600 pages to find it) about the flat cable. Where why??

avr300 said:
And I'm going to get an old Philips CDP - one more. Yes total luna. :rolleyes: but fun.

:D :spin:

Malefoda said:
Good evening fellows!
Update of my CD53 and as it's a CD53 and not a 63 maybe this is the best CD53 of the world lol ;)

That's all folks for a while, my new baby (Rotary engine car) is coming.
Warm thanks to all of you, Jaap, Rowe, AVR, Simonty, Martin, Ray and many more! Peace and love!

Nice work Matthieu! Your player looks very neat. And no smoke :clown:! You'll need some time to rediscover your cd collection. But don't use recordables! Try the originals. At this level I find it makes quite a difference.

But what's that all about a new baby?? Are you going to leave this thread?

Regards,

Ray

Ray, I don't think I can leave it ;)
The car I'm buying is a rice cooker (RX-7 for info), and the problem is that a wheel is the price of a CDP! In fact going on with the CDP can be a good long cold winter night hobby. Maybe now I can face the entry CDP from Naim :) Saved 1200€!
I have a question, what is the electrolytics caps life expectancy? If I upgrade with a new TX for 5V rails in... 10 years, will all the ZLH FC and RJH be dead? Have to change it again? Maybe at that time there will be no more BG but some Darker than Black Gates... and 20yo guys who will say "HMG a dinosaur!". And as I said I'l be some in the Solid State section ;)
About my CDs no problem, on the 900 I got maybe only 100 or less are burned... low speed and good CDs :)

Oh as I just though of it, are good feet another real improvment?
Thx ,)

Malefoda said:
Ray, I don't think I can leave it ;)
The car I'm buying is a rice cooker (RX-7 for info), and the problem is that a wheel is the price of a CDP! In fact going on with the CDP can be a good long cold winter night hobby. Maybe now I can face the entry CDP from Naim :) Saved 1200€!
I have a question, what is the electrolytics caps life expectancy? If I upgrade with a new TX for 5V rails in... 10 years, will all the ZLH FC and RJH be dead? Have to change it again? Maybe at that time there will be no more BG but some Darker than Black Gates... and 20yo guys who will say "HMG a dinosaur!". And as I said I'l be some in the Solid State section ;)
About my CDs no problem, on the 900 I got maybe only 100 or less are burned... low speed and good CDs :)

Oh as I just though of it, are good feet another real improvment?
Thx ,)

I'm not at all into cars, so i'm a noob in that area. But it's a whole different and interesting ballgame. I'd rather buy a CDP! In fact, I just did :). There's a SA7001 playing in my livingroom as we speak. I got it for a very nice price at a local hifi store that's cleaning out their stock, I couldn't resist. It's waiting to be modded of course....:yes:

I'd expect in ten years you won't own your current player anymore. But by that time it would be wise to change the caps. And your speakercables and interlinks. Sell it before it becomes too old. I did a comparison once with a new cable and the same one that was five years old: too much difference.

I put some Soundcare Superspiked feet under my 8400 recently, and it seems like the music has become more relaxed. Very nice feet BTW, much better looking and more solid than those rubber Vibrapods.

Regards,

Ray

Malefoda said:
.............. maybe this is the best CD53 of the world lol ........

Good work. Another happy DIYer.

shepperd said:
.............the only one who might is that Ken character ............

I somehow doubt it !!!!! It would prove that his ''special'' versions were not so special after all !!

Andy

PS.. one day I will finish my CD63 project......but I have to work and it interrupts the DIY.

(I've just arrived in New Zealand for 3 months work! tough job I've got !!)

6h5c said:

Hey, cool! My parents are visiting there at the moment. My uncle moved there about 20 yrs ago. Are you going to visit the Lord of the Rings site :D ?

Ray

Well, the latest news is that the project start has been delayed for about 4-5 days so, yes, I probably will visit some of the sites on the North Island and also visit some of the excellent wineries nearby.

I had intended to rewind some toroids to make custom transformers to power my tube output stage but I've forgotton to bring the enamelled wire!!!!!!!!!!

Andy

Luke said:
Andy,

IMO if your on limited time in NZ and want to do some sight seeing, you shoud skip the north island and travel the south Island. Its amazing scenery and travelling is easy and friendly. Oh and I forgot they do wine too:)

I second that. I spent a couple of months there a few years back and backpacked around the whole country with my (now ex) girlfriend. I think we divided the time 5/8 South and 3/8 North.

Stunning scenery. We actually circumnavigated the earth over the space of a year, but we never saw anywhere better IMO (although bits of Canada got close). Makes me want to go back just thinking about it.

Jumping off perfectly good bridges is fun too.:D
(Edit: with the caveat that there is an elasticated cord tied to your ankles. :att'n: )

As a Kiwi, I'd second that too, if you have limited time.IMO, the North has lots of "stuff to see and do", but the South is magic :)

but we got more culture;-) Where are you from Jksmurf?

Glenn, nice to hear that. I would like to go to alaska or Canada, preferably both. Allways seem to end up back in Europe as I have a German wife. I think we are due for a visit next year.