Marantz CD-94 intermittent skips

Dear experts,

My CD player did not play CD-Rs, so I thought I give it some overhaul. I replaced the notorious 33uF electrolytes on the CDM-1 PCB, lubricated the swingarm bearings, polished the turntable spindle support, made adjustments according to the service manual. Now the eye pattern looks OK, it plays home written audio CDs.
But: it skips sometimes. Most CDs it plays from start to end. On occassion it skips in a strange way: it plays to the middle of a track and then jumps back to the beginning of that track, i.e. it restarts the track being played.
This behavior does not depend on the CD or the quality of the eye pattern.
How should I start troubleshooting? I checked all voltages and most test points according to the service manual, and everything looks good. This is a weird intermittent issue.

Hello , that is a Wonderfull mechanism.
In my philips cd 204 i had 2 issues:
1. The belt for the Tray.
2. Oxydated potentiometer at the Laser Power ( current ) adjustment. So i took a Photo of the original setting, a drop of WD40 and Little movement around and back to original Settings again. Voilà, that was the things mine start skipping backwards..
I hope you find out your Probleme there.
Benny
... from Hamburg

Try burning discs with another burning device. I had a similar case with the Philips CD304. I even changed the CDM1, nothing changed until the customer changed the burning device. Although the Philips CD160 reads perfectly. It's just that the player didn't like the burning device.

I burn with a Plextor and EAC. Now it plays 74 min burned audio CDs, and even tried a 80 min burned CD, no skips.
Just out of curiosity I burned a CD-RW. The player reads the TOC but it is not able to play it, not even expected to do so.
The amplitude of the eye pattern is 1.0 to 1.2 Vpp on factory CDs, 0.8Vpp on CD-R, and 0.4 Vpp on CD-RW (on reading the TOC, but it stops there).
It is interesting that I have a gold colored factory pressed CD, I suppose it is real gold, not silver or aluminium like the majority. The eye pattern amplitude is extremely high on it, like 1.5 Vpp.