Mar-Kel70 in Sweden

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
dave,

Am I to understand that you, for the first time, stood on the edge of a new frontier and hesitated to go further?

Once you move into increased negative numbers, everything changes. So adding negative numbers of strands can only move you in the direction of an Aural Equilibrium, that sweet spot in a world where there is no longer a concern over relative pluses or minuses.

I hope I've made myself clear. However, my wife is insisting I take my medications... immediately!

Best Regards,
Terry "Einstein" Olson

We are working on faster than light... a hard one to crack :)

dave

I have bought my first What Hi-Fi magazine! :D
And i've also visited the HMV store at Oxford Street in London :)

And seen some really really beautiful Marantz KI-Pearl stuff at Harrods :)

I've picked up an issue from time to time. Their reviews are short, to the point and fairly well grounded, at least in comparison to some of the American audio rags...uh, magazines.
:eek:

Best Regards,
TerryO

What might you be going to instead of the Mar-Kel70 that you currently have? Another EL70 based setup or something completely different?

I was thinking of the Mar-Kel70^2 floorstander and adding an SDX7 woofer for more dynamics and impact. But i'm still a little unsure how it would work out in reality placing both EL70 in the front. I've been thinking of placing one driver on the top aswell, but i have no clue how it would change the sound.

A track that really brings out the bass from the EL70 is Some Chords - Deadmau5 - Spotify
For those of you who don't have spotify (i have a couple of invites you can have if you want) the track is called Some Chords with Deadmau5 from the album 4x4=12

I have a new idea regarding speakers too. Will try to draw it on a paper (easier and quicker than doing in sketchup which i suck at using). Hopefully you will see the idea :p

Here it is:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I took the slanting thing for the woofer from the Ino Audio loudspeakers. Dunno why but it might make it better, i don't know. I guess if i want to cross over at around 120Hz or maybe even higher i guess i need the SDX7 to be as close to the EL70 as possible. That is achieved by placing the drivers like this. Is this all ******** or could it be doable?

Last edited:
I think that you might be trying too hard to come up with a solution. The SDX7 could be on the side of the Mar-Kel70^2 since they are actually quite short. I hope to have the Mar-Kel70^2 up and running in the next couple of weeks for testing, I expect that they will pack a pretty decent punch.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member

That link has numbers from 60-250 hz. Without a reference, and actually reading the paper, the AES reference has no more weight than any of the others,

How high you can do it, is also dependent on how big the side firing driver is, and how wide its baffle. In th case of the SDX7 we are talking about a 7" driver, in the above mentioned thread they are suggesting one of those as a midrange.

dave

Haha okay. By the way, i saw an interesting speaker in my latest hi-fi magazine. A single 15" full-range speaker. I wonder how it handles the upper frequencies...

Let's say i build the front baffle as wide as needed for the EL70 and an SDX7 (is it possible to have them in the same cabinet?) and the depth (baffle for the SDX7) as big as needed to fit the SDX7. Height is as much as needed to get the right volume, and i might add a base that i fill with cat litter or something.
How about something like a large tysen? And active XO and a DIY 20wpc power amplifier for the EL70 and a DIY 60-100wpc power amp for the SDX7 and using the Emotiva XDA-1 as pre-amp and DAC?
To me that sounds good, but i have much yet to learn...