maplin mosfet GA28F upgrades?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hey-hey

iv got two home made monoblocks using the good old maplin GA28F mono boards

they have a 1kw dougnut and 6 BH or BHC? 15000uf 63volt capacitors each,
3 for the power supply and 3 for the output stage?

the GA28F's have the Exicon transistors 10p16 and 10n16

the two main capacitors on these boards [c11 & c9] are 63v 220uf(m) made by dubilier

is there a chance of upgrading any of this to improve sound?

the sound at the moment is fair but not as good as my sansui AU-919 which i know is a top amp but its 1979 technology afterall

im testing my amplifers with IMF tls80 monitors

thanks all :)

Attachments

• monoblocks.jpg
    monoblocks.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 537
hi
a quick upgrade would be to replace the output mos fets with dual die parts, these are drop in replacements, equivelent to 2 parallel parts in one case

try BUZ900D and BUZ902D pairs
or ECF20N20 and ECF20P20 pairs
the Idle current will need need adjusting to double what it is now I would suggest 200mA. with either of above pairs.

with this module i recommend replacing the R15, 4R7 3 watt with a non inductive (non wirewound part) i use 8R2 2 watt.
this helps with hf stability.

I wouldnt recommend that. The MOSFETS are driven directly by the VAS stage in this design. Adding dual die outputs will load the VAS further, and distortion will rise.

You could try this with the White Noise amp I linked to, but to be honest one pair on 50V rails is plenty

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.