managing huge trafos

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
trobbins said:
But once magnetising current starts to subside, then the charging of secondary side caps still exists, so the mains AC supply continues to see high current peaks.
Understood but I remember seeing scope shots showing it as less dramatic and shrinking with each cycle. Providing I can configure this transformer for an isolating primary, does the restrictive action described above also work on the secondary side? The caps will act like a dead short for an instant but there is a second coil (isolating PT) in the way to dampen this demand. Yes, the first side of the trafo will get the full hit but the isolating part has two offsetting fields, one accepting and the other providing. I know it seems counterintuitive but is it possible for a good inrush limiter on the secondaries, just before the cap bank to sufficiently inhibit the energizing of the primary side?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.