Making use of an old AV receiver with new source tech

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'd just like to preemptively thank you all for any help you may offer!

So I recently bought a new 4k TV (Sony AF9) 2nd hand and now have to address my old AV equipment which is ridiculously now not entirely compatible if I want to use 4k sources. Ideally I'd like to come to a solution without buying a UHD bluray player, I opted for an Xbox one as I purchased one for £80 (2nd hand) which seems like a no brainer when a UHD bluray player costs about the same and has no where close to the same functionality. However one functionality the Xbox one obviously doesnt have is dual HDMI output hence my issue.

I have two receivers available to me, a Denon AVR-2310 and a Harman Kardon AVR-7300 (apologies if names in the US are different to here in the UK) which someone chucked in with some speakers. Ideally I'd like to try make use of the Harman Kardon as it is practically worthless with its old tech yet is obviously a very impressive amplifier being an old flagship model so seems a waste to leave unused. The Denon is also a good amp obviously but has HDMI inputs making it the likely option.

A few options I'm trying to consider:

eARC - My TV has eARC but this is annoyingly again not backwards compatible which doesn't quite make sense to me, why can't you just use it as a pure audio output or why dont TV's just have an Audio output which is what this was developed to achieve with new tech when the tech of an audio output has seemingly been around since the invention of hdmi audio? But anyway, is there a device which can extract eARC audio to be input into my amp?
I know you can buy HDCP compliant audio extractors with EDID control which to my knowledge last time I looked are very expensive but if anyone is aware of any cheap alternatives which would work for me that would be great!
An HDCP compliant pre-amp to be used with the direct inputs of the Harman Kardon - I have trawled through the manual of the AVR 7300 and it does only seem to have a direct option in stereo but then it also says there's no signal processing on the direct inputs. If this is the case can these be used as a direct power amp input? I understand this will go through the pre-amp but is there a REAL issue with that? Given that I'm trying to avoid buying a cheap AVR receiver which is HDCP compliant I can't imagine the audio hit of going through two pre-amps as dramatic? (before someone points out buying a pre-amp is more expensive than me just buying a UHD bluray player the idea here was to make use of the higher quality AVR 7300)
Any other options?

Thanks for any help guys!

Account Closed
Joined 2018
As a long-time service tech, I can say that the "evolution" of home entertainment and its ever increasing complexity is a rat hole that traps the consumer into spending more and more money to be able to connect and enjoy things.
It seems that the days of those good old RCA jacks and cables are a memory now.
The companies don't want you to use them anymore, they want you to spend spend spend.
The HDMI crap is another disaster that people learned from.
I must have seen hoards of broken HDMI jacks in the shop over the recent years - they're weak, have issues, and break, unlike the much sturdier RCA jacks.
And all the while, prices go up, and things get more complex.
As for me, I don't feel the need to get into that 4K stuff, surround sound, and digital everything.
I washed my hands of it all, and prefer to enjoy the simpler side of entertainment.
Yes, I had to purchase an "optical-to-RCA" adapter in order to connect the stereo audio from my 2015 Panasonic LED TV to my "vintage" Technics stereo system.
But that's as far as I'll go, and I'm quite satisfied with things as they are.

The rest of that brain-nutting industry can drive someone else crazy.

As a long-time service tech, I can say that the "evolution" of home entertainment and its ever increasing complexity is a rat hole that traps the consumer into spending more and more money to be able to connect and enjoy things. As for me, I don't feel the need to get into that 4K stuff, surround sound, and digital everything.
The rest of that brain-nutting industry can drive someone else crazy.
AMEN!!!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.