Making TPA3116d2 sound more clear

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What do you mean for "Clearer"? Class D or PWM amplifiers has an intrinsic limit in the frequency they can amplify, give certain switching frequency, the high part (treble) of the spectrum will become more and more distorted (like metallic sound) as the frequency approach sample or frequency of the PWM. So you can't enhance the high frequency response without limit. (Limit is about Fsw/10).

Last edited:
"allo.com" has a TPA3118 version that is probably among the ultimate uses of TPA3116/3118. You can get some ideas from their design. An improved output filter is one possibility. TPA3116 is amazingly well sounding for the price but it is not in the top of the chips from TI.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try that T1 tube pre amp first.

I have Focal speakers.

Is there any other amp according to your experience which is better in terms of audio clarity other than this one.. and from any class not just from class d.

Thanks

What do you mean for "Clearer"? Class D or PWM amplifiers has an intrinsic limit in the frequency they can amplify, give certain switching frequency, the high part (treble) of the spectrum will become more and more distorted (like metallic sound) as the frequency approach sample or frequency of the PWM. So you can't enhance the high frequency response without limit. (Limit is about Fsw/10).

"allo.com" has a TPA3118 version that is probably among the ultimate uses of TPA3116/3118. You can get some ideas from their design. An improved output filter is one possibility. TPA3116 is amazingly well sounding for the price but it is not in the top of the chips from TI.

Treble control or an AMT or planar tweeter?

Tube T1 preamp with tone controls and you can also try tube rolling

What speakers do you have?

Yes i agree on that too. tube is not always "adding" a better sound...

if you want to have a better SQ:
set the gain down...most boards have a gain about 30db or more to give a "powerful impression" of the amp - forge that - use a a gain of 20db or 24db
as FF mentioned - use different output filter coils - use the same size but with better current capability
check the input caps - the chinese boards use strange values or old or recovered caps.
normally foil caps or small 4,7µ - 10µF electrolytic should do better

chris

What ampboard do you use, countless times tubepreamps are used by people who want their 3116 to sound warmer, I don't associate that with more clear, sorry.

What are you afraid of ?
Audiophile on a Budget? FX-Audio Tube-01 Is the Best Tube Buffer for the Money

Performance
So it looks nice. But how does it actually sound?

This was the biggest surprise.

For under $30, I wasn’t expecting a huge boost to my performance. If anything, I thought that it might try to trick me into thinking my stereo sounded better just by making it louder.

But this does much more than that.

I was amazed at how much this little tube buffer increased sound isolation. The individual pieces of the drum set were more definite than ever. Guitars were crunchy. Atmospheres were rich and lush.

Vocal harmonies that were previously crowded and jumbled in my stereo field were now wide and clear.

My stereo receiver’s low end has always been thick and warm, but it occasionally slides into muddy territory. With this tube buffer, bass frequencies are crisp and responsive.

The buffer even tamed some of the troublesome frequencies that bog down the sonics in the midrange.

I’ve tried a few records in a number of sonic palettes. From the stripped acoustic folk of Bob Dylan to the sonic maximalist sludge metal of Baroness, every album I played through this tube buffer sounded warm and clear.

Before getting this buffer, I thought that my system sounded great. Now, I can’t believe how much muddiness I’ve been living with.

FX Audio 6j1 tube preamp - a $31 wonder | Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

You can't afford it ?

https://www.amazon.com/FX-Audio-TUB...=fx+audio&qid=1573312000&s=electronics&sr=1-5

https://www.amazon.com/FX-Audio-TUB...=fx+audio&qid=1573311970&s=electronics&sr=1-4

From europe

https://www.amazon.co.uk/FX-Audio-T...1_19?keywords=fx+audio&qid=1573312152&sr=8-19

https://www.amazon.co.uk/FX-Audio-T...1_18?keywords=fx+audio&qid=1573312152&sr=8-18

Pick the one you think sounds best to how you prefer your music to sound

Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide | Headphone Reviews and Discussion - Head-Fi.org

Last option get Klipsch Reference RP speakers
AVimg_27732.jpg

Last edited:
horn speakers

More clear,open,energy in the highs

A tube pre amp an upgraded tubes are also very unexpensive so i won't cost a furtune to try

Silver cabel qed spesklare cable is know to have more bright,clear sound because that is what suilver cable often have

QED Silver Anniversary XT Speaker Cable - Custom Length | Future Shop

A littel cheaper but can sound thin in the bass QED Silver Micro Speaker Cable - Custom Length | Future Shop

What focals ?

My TDA7498E amp form audiophonics sounds clear but it has a llittlr more bass,treble than a neutral sounding amp.

Last edited:
I tried the silvery cable, but the sound got too bright and reflections disturbed the sound, something else works better for any system:
If you place a bowl of hot noodle soup onthe amp, the sound becomes much warmer.
Don´t put too much chili pepper into the soup, as the sound might get to hot and melt the high frequency range.
Potato soup makes the sound more muddy, better eat it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.