Making the most of an Eminence Beta 12LTA

90 L falls within the 'window' between sealed and the pioneer's Vas/1.44, so OK, though assuming a 100 W max, Hornresp 'says' it takes a 5" dia. vent to get it down enough, so 4" may need damping using the 'click' test: Click Test | GM210 | Flickr

With such an acoustically small cab [max flat = ~402 L with only ~20 W max], looks like a ~ 33 Hz tuning yields flattest response, but recommend trying Fs first as a frame of reference since the room dominates down low.

Thanks for the info guys. Just for clarity sake, I "AM" building these cabinets for the Eminence Beta 12LTA. Although I'd prefer not to run a notch filter, I also don't want to do too much with physical modifications to the speaker itself. I am however not opposed at all to removing the dust cap if necessary. It seems like adding a phase plug has minimal effect and in my case probably won't make any difference. I guess we'll have to see.

my Karlsonator12 tunes ~37Hz - some of the boxiness is in this recording - the helper tweeter had a damaged diaphragm too

Karlsonator 12 with Beta 12LTA - YouTube

This is an absolutely awesome idea and design. I am totally looking for something retro like this. I guess I need to do some more homework. Would you mind sharing the exact dimensions, venting if there is any, as well as dampening with me? I'd really appreciate it. Honestly I never even thought of a speaker cabinet design like this. Thank you very much.!.

here's the Karlsolnator 12 plan - the "stub" above the driver is the most critical place to damp and should be stuffed to taste with polyfil. Bonded Dacron or carpet felt could be used on other spots.

a helper tweeter could be mounted on a bracket or stiff wire in front of the 12LTA

Attachments

• KARLSONATOR DAMPING.jpg
    KARLSONATOR DAMPING.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 264
In my ears it is impossible to get good sound without a linear frequency response. The ear is very sensitive to the frequency response up to a half db.

With the use of a Behringer DEQ2496 with the Behringer microfone you can correct yourself the frequency response of any fullrange driver.

The advantage of correcting fullrange drivers is - you can do it in 20cm nearfield on axis or slightly off axis 15 to 30 degrees. As the sound seems in the end best to you.

This is a privilege of fullrange drivers to be measured in the near field - multi way speakers are quite more problematic to be measured - usually impossible in the far field without a special damped room made for this purpose.

Most colourations you can hear with fullrange drivers are due to the non linear frequency response.

As long as the fullrange driver does not have resonances in the critical mid frequencies 1-3 Khz most resonances can not be heard.

hey - it only takes a minimum order of 50 pieces at Eminence for a custom spec. In stereo that's 25 purchases. Let's see if Parts Express or someone with an Eminence account is game to make a super-12lta with a 54o + ounce ferrite slug and no other changes. That would improve attack on percussion plus reduce cabinet size

Well, there is a bit of climb, 600hz up to maybe 3k. Then a peak centered 5-6k, then rolling out fast.

Stronger magnet probably will climb more, but lower the qts to a more box friendly .4

So, we are making our own hammer dynamics ?
A mentioned 3k notch.
tip18

3" phase plug, nicer response but needs super tweet, thanks godzilla.
Eminence Beta 12LTA on Open Baffle | Speaker Projects by Zilla

Last edited:
Hammer had the same weak motor. Eminence could do a change in cone or whizzer but that's debatable as to worthwhile vs diy cone treatments.

lookie at this 10cx - it has a motor - Eminence could not accurately trace its ID. I pad $30 an $35 for two of these at
Ebay. I think its kinda a Kappa Pro10cx. The embedded text in the picture is Eminence's description.

I could easily convert it to a "koax" with a K-tube but no one's interested plus only a couple of people in the last 30 years have heard any of my setups.

5SM2JMc.jpg

Last edited:
The hammer had a 29g cone, while the eminence 12lta spec is 36g.
So now we are talking a different cone also.........

The fane 250tc worked for me.
Short coil made for a flatish z-curve.
The 2nd whizzer helped also.
Listening off axis and eq'd worked well for a good sized listening area.

I don't think there is a large enough demand for an eminence similar design.

Last edited:
- that Fane needs a fair size box - especially if not sealed. It did work without any boom in a six-slit distributive vent Karlson 12 w. ~35 liter rear chamber and damping material over the vent slits. It also fared without noticeable artifacts in the little K12. There was basically no low bass so a subwoofer would needed for full range work.

I could get "bass" from 12LTA in the 37Hz tuned Karlsonator12 but it still lacked that immediacy and subjective attack of a lower Q driver. I will give it credit in the K12 being able to do decently with Danley's Harley track. That same track pushed a ferrite Super10 in a 41Hz tuned reflex, way out of control with large fluttering excursion and feeble farting noise.

12lTA is a relic from the old CTS design used in toy PA cabinets.

From the damaged coil Hammer 12, it didn't appear anything great either.

Last edited: