Maintenance rubber surroundings Exel by SEAS W17E-002

Hi,
While cleaning out a cabinet I stumbled on the receipt of my Seas Odin speakers making me aware that next month they are eligible to celebrate there 27th birthday. It made me remember it was time for there yearly cleaning using a tiny bit of water and a tiny bit of soap. While the drivers are still performing fine I did notice that the rubber surroundings, while still flexible, feel a bit different from what I remember from years back.

So I wonder is there anything I can do to prevent further decay of the rubber? I read that some people recommend glycerol, but others believe that it only provides a temporary improvement after which the decline increases. So looking for some quality advice.

I love to keep them drivers for at least an other 10 years.

20240318_232928.jpg

There's a fairly lengthy thread over at AudioKarma
https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/rubber-surround-renovation.905581/

I used Oil of Wintergreen on my 35+ yr old Shahinians over 4 years ago and have not noticed any deleterious effects.

However, they had to spend more than a month out in the garage because..the smell! (Probably more acceptable if you're an athlete ?)

On a side note I have found O-o-W to be a top notch soldering flux alternative, with the same reservation about odour.

Reactions: 1 user
As you seem to be in Germany, from time to time at your local ALDI, they sell a silicone spray in small red/white or orange bottles. This stuff is very clean and thin silicone oil. After cleaning the speaker with a soft brush, then a damp micro fiber cloth, spray this stuff an a small piece of cotton and carefully apply it to the surounds. You should be able to remove some of the greyish coloration from the rubber. Another option, after cleaning, would be to use "Armour All" for cars. It leaves a thin film on the surface that proects from UV radiation and oxygen. Reconditions the look just fine. Don' use too much of it, just enough to evenly coat the rubber. It contains latex formulation. Don't use too often and only on a clean surface, as it builds up a film if used excessively and mixes with dirt. Used carefully a good product.

I rotate the sides my speakers are located at every year. This prevents one of them to get too much UV light and age faster than the other. Helps the veneer / paint coat too.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you all for the valuable advice.

I might try silicone oil at first as it's easy to apply and I have used it before, although this was on ABS plastics not natural rubber.

The positive results reported on ASR and elsewhere regarding treatment with a methyl salicylate (wintergreen) and IPA mixture where interesting to read. But I think my drivers are still to good and to valuable to try this out. I fear it might dissolve the glue or have some unexpected result on the magnesium cone. Funny enough I have one of the plants used to produce biologic wintergreen (eastern teaberry), growing in my garden.

An other thought that crossed my mind is fish oil, car manufactures used it for years to produce durable rubber parts. Sadly it attracted marten, who eat the rubber. But since I don't have marten running around in my living room.