Mains Isolation Transformer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I’m intending to have a Mains Isolation Transformer to feed the three pieces of audio equipment I use (TT / Phono Stage / Int. Amp).

I’m aiming for the simplest system and the best quality Transformer I can get, can any one recommend Transformer manufacturers to talk to. I’ve already identified a Lundahl item that will do what I want but is rated at only 300VA’s which is on the top end of what I need.

Also if anyone has any ‘simple’ advice or wiring recommendations I’d appreciate it. I’m not an electrical expert in anyway so please keep it simple.

Thanks in advance.

N

Hi Nigeh,

I am a bit confused. I will explain.

I’m intending to have a Mains Isolation Transformer to feed the three pieces of audio equipment I use.....
OK, just be aware that all your audio elements already include isolation transformers for safety. It is illegal to sell commercial gear not including isolation to the mains side. Using homemade gear directly on the mains side would be VERY stupid and risky. With another isolation transformer you would have double safety which is of little use, but you would also have higher voltage sagging on your power supplies due to increased impedance.

I’ve already identified a Lundahl item that will do what I want but is rated at only 300VA’s which is on the top end of what I need.
Lundahl should be among the best but it sounds to me like buying a Lamborghini to drag your trailer. The 300VA I guess you mean is in the low end of power you need, not on the top end?

I get the feeling you have another problem. That you suspect your mains AC supply is not perfect and want to compensate for that? Such compensation exists but the solution in general is not a further transformer.

Last edited:
Hi FauxFrench,

Thanks for the reply - hopefully I’m not so stupid, as I’m asking before I try!!!

Anyway to answer your note and add some comments.

What I’m aiming to do is to ‘clean’ my mains feed as a way of ensuring the best possible electrical foundation to the system, this is something I’ve ‘heard’ using a Mains Isolation Transformer from Audio Consulting. Mains isolation transformers

I’m aware of each piece of equipment having its own transformer.

I don’t get the analogy ref the Lundahl! In terms of the 300VA, (largest they manufacture), then my system will equal up to near the 300VA, so was looking for a transformer that would have a higher rating.

So, any additional comments or advice?

Hi Nigeh,

From your first posting I got the impression that your worry was safety (insulation) which I find futile. From your second posting I understand it is rather "power conditioning" thus, removal of noise from the mains power, that is your concern. For purists, there exist a number of audio "power conditioners" that reshape a somewhat deform sine-wave into a rather perfect sine-wave. Some use electronic circuits, some transformers.
One supplier is PS Audio ( YouTube ). Their products make you feel like being in the studio!!
I don't use such conditioning. Good luck looking for an appropriate unit.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.