• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Magnavox AMP-185

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ok I will put the 470k resistors in there and see what it sounds like
so far as I played with it before i had to head out to work it sounds great and I discovered that one of the tweeters in the speakers i bought has gone out, this would also explain the off balance
Im going to buy a new 500k POT and put it back in line as per original specs and see if I can use it to adjust the balance, with the original POT in place it made no difference and at around halfway would just cut out the channel completely... could just be a bad or dirty POT

The pot is just a volume control for the one channel. But it is supposed to have a value range higher that the 470K on the other channel so it can span higher and lower to create a balance point. If the 470K R drifted in value over time and got higher than the 500K pot, you could never get the balance to work right. The pot channel volume would always be lower. So make sure the 470K is really 470K or a little less is not a big deal.

Ok, I finally got most of my tools together and am ready to start working on the new shiny chassis
I got chassis hole punches and holes saws, ceramic gold plated sockets, and a nice aluminum chassis

I have a questions, what gauge wire should I be using for the high voltage power wires as well as for the heater power wires?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.