• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Magnavox 8608-10

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks for the grounding info TheGimp.....my brother picked up the Maggie console I bought, so I don't have it yet. He sent these pics - but I can't see the amp. Anyone more familiar with these maybe know which amp this might have? It does have horn speakers, which mine did not....
2012-05-02_20-00-45_596.jpg

2012-05-02_20-00-23_896.jpg

Yes, I'm afraid you have an "Astrosonic" model with a solid state amp. Those horns are a nice find though and the 12" woofers are sometimes used in open baffle designs.

I'd like to suggest you hook up your se el84 tube amp to the speakers and give the speakers a listen before you part out the console. That way you will know whether you want to keep them or not. They use a very simple crossover that could be greatly improved upon should you get up the interest.

Oh Happy Days....went to an estate sale today & look what I picked up for $25. Now I can keep "my" Maggie console stock (with new guts of course), and use this as my stand-alone. Gotta do some reading up on this one.

Let's see, 4X 6V6s, 2X 12AX7s, and a 6CA4/EZ81. That sure looks like the beginnings of an "El Cheapo" to me. :D For all practical purposes, the 'AQ5s shown on the schematic are 6V6s in a 7 pin mini bottle. Those small O/P trafos will do well with triode wired "finals". About 6 WPC is what you get.

Attachments

• EC big.gif
    EC big.gif
    38.8 KB · Views: 232
What a bargain!

Very nice find! That model is a very good one. It clean up well. You can put a switch where the molex connector is and you have plenty of room on the back for 5 way speaker posts on the back and a nice fused IEC power connector. If you are a woodworker you can really go nuts.

DSCF0041.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Ok, that schematic is obviously tried & true....very nice. Unfortunately, beyond my abilities (I think). Been a long time since I've done that kind of work.

L/D,

I think with a little hand holding, which I'll gladly supply, turning that old console amp into a nice "El Cheapo" is well within your capability. :D Obviously, PSU changes are needed to exploit that which already in hand. However, the signal path topology will be as shown in the previously uploaded schematic.

A $10 AnTek AN-0130 will energize the B- rail. Switch the B+ rectification to SS. The 6CA4 will become the B- rectifier. ;) Please notice that the photo that Capt. D. provided shows a model similar to yours, with a 5 V. filament rectifier (5V4?) and a filter choke. A Hammond 159S will correct that cost cutting omission on your piece. Combined with SS B+ rectification, the 4 H. 159S allows us to hold the value of the 1st filter cap. down and squeeze a few more mA. out of the OEM power trafo. Reserves of current make for good performance. The 150 mA. limit of the 6CA4 strikes me as being no better than marginal, for feeding 4X 6V6s.

Eli is right about the El Cheapo. That would be a great project for that amp. The whole point to these console amps is that they are a terrific lab experiment. Where else can you get a chassis, 7 tubes and three transformers for twenty five bucks??? You've got lots of room under that chassis (and on top too) to do all sorts or experimentation. You will come out the other side with a good understanding of tube circuits. Have fun with it.

Read the sticky on safety while you are studying schematics.

Let's see, 4X 6V6s, 2X 12AX7s, and a 6CA4/EZ81. That sure looks like the beginnings of an "El Cheapo" to me. :D For all practical purposes, the 'AQ5s shown on the schematic are 6V6s in a 7 pin mini bottle. Those small O/P trafos will do well with triode wired "finals". About 6 WPC is what you get.

Eli,

What happened to the El Cheapo thread that was at AudiophileTalk? Was that mirrored somewhere?

Anyone here got the 8802 maggie amp?

I got one not long back and replaced all the caps/resistors with metal film 1%, AN Tants and Kiwame... Only caps i could find were of the "suntan" brand so not too sure about them to be honest. I also used Jupiter vintage tone caps in the signal path to give a nice smooth laid back sound...

To me its an absolutely fantastic sounding amp for what it is... no hum or hiss at all when idle which is suprising. You can honestly sit and listen for hours on end and not have any fatigue at all.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.