Madisound HDS kits.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone besides me tried these yet? I’ve built two sets of five (10 total) and they are awesome. Not a lot of bass, but the mid and high end is really nice. The mid-range is perfect for HT, the voice and dialogue are crystal clear. The folks at Madisound did an outstanding job with the crossover.

I sold all but 1 to friends and they are still thanking me every time I see them. I’m using my last one for the center channel, but plan on making more soon.

Madisound recommends a rectangle sealed box, the drivers and crossover deserve a little more than that, these are 1” MDF with additional lead lining.

I took one pair to my friends, this fellow is an amplifier fanatic and been building speakers for years, he loved them.

The crossover is pre-assembled. As mentioned in the webpage, the crossover does have to be built into the speaker or mounted elsewhere.

After this set, I did find a way to drop the speakers in without cutting the notch for the wire terminal, you have to back cut the speaker hole with a router, preferable before you assemble.

Attachments

• HDS Kit 2.JPG
    HDS Kit 2.JPG
    617.2 KB · Views: 917
Last edited:
Back at this toady, picked back up a pair back up from my buddy and re-built them with MS dimensions (using Baltic Birch Ply).
8" wide and 13" tall.

I'm thinking next time to add use a center brace and add 3/4" to the height.

Attachments

• DSCN3488.JPG
    DSCN3488.JPG
    727.3 KB · Views: 680
Madisound frowns on a vented box for this kit

Disclaimer - Madisound does not recommend a vented box for this kit

However, just had to find out how this sealed design combination would work in a vented box. Ran it WinISD and came up with this (pic). Finished one vented box about a year and had one of each, sealed vs. vented on L & R channels - hooked up to small 60wpc receiver.

I was really leaning toward the ported box when toggling back and forth with the balance setting. Enough to build the second vented box for a complete pair.

They work well, lots of quick bass with good extension for small woofers. The xo are working nicely and the imaging is very good also.

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/mtm-speaker-kits/hds-home-theater-kit-parts-only/

Attachments

• DSCN3534.JPG
    DSCN3534.JPG
    227 KB · Views: 584
Last edited:
Hi Doug,

Madisound probably had in mind crossing over to sub.
I do worse than that. I am capable of putting Qts=0,7
driver in a vented box and not feel guilty about it. I admit
to do that only with smaller midwoofers where it's still
doable to enlarge the necessary box volume without
anyone suggesting me to visit the institution for health
improvement.

Hi,

I think the answer is vented is not good enough
to not need a sub, so you may as well go sealed.

Its also not good enough to not grossly overload
with low bass run full range, something the sealed
version would survive more benignly, with no bass.

What do you expect from a circa 80Hz Fs driver ?

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
The sealed boxes sounded great with high power amps and subs; but as for a stand alone, I'd go for the vented box. With a qts of .54, it's close to vented designs anyway, actually WinISD defaults to vented.

I did not notice much different in cone movement/excursion with the two boxes side by side (ported vs. vented).

*the small white birch boxes in post #3 are air tight

Attachments

• 830870 01.jpg
    830870 01.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 518
The sealed boxes sounded great with high power amps and subs; but as for a stand alone, I'd go for the vented box. With a qts of .54, it's close to vented designs anyway, actually WinISD defaults to vented.

I did not notice much different in cone movement/excursion with the two boxes side by side (ported vs. vented).

*the small white birch boxes in post #3 are air tight

Hi,

Its not just Qts, Fs is too high for good vented standalone.

rgds, sreten.

:D

Here's the measurements, left vs right speaker. The left might be a little better.
I could be crazy but I was hearing something like second and third harmonics in the XT25.
Never noticed any secondary tones with the other tweeters :irked:

Attachments

• HDS MTM 01.jpg
    HDS MTM 01.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 154

Attachments

• HDS MTM 03.jpg
    HDS MTM 03.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 304
  • HDS MTM 04.jpg
    HDS MTM 04.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 309
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Narrow baffles are sensitive. They work above and below having baffle support. At mid frequencies response is affected by diffraction at the front, which can be helped by rounding the front edges.. the lower midrange can be affected by room reflections.

Thanks Allen, This is all making sense now; why the robust bass and the reduced tweeter level - the balance is off. I never would considered it was because of the thinner profile.
I thought somebody was going suggest changing the 12uf cap or just simply remove it.
The boxes are lightly stuffed, so don't think removing 1-2 ounces of wool is going to help much.

Yes, thumbs up to flush fitting drivers and rounds edges :up:

Speaking of vented boxes vs. sealed for the 830870, PE has a recommendation:
Peerless 830870 4" PPB Cone HDS Woofer

Definitely a odd duck, 2 of them in a .4cf box seem to have plenty of bass.

So took my own advice (again) removed most of the wool and replaced it with furnace filter material (open cell) and used a few pieces of reg. damping wool right behind the speaker magnets; which helped clear up the middle.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.