Made up a TL design... any comments ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Paul's ML-V looks good enuff to get a drawing... once i tart it up (with permission) i'll add it to the virtual TLs on the TLS.org site... the name is Paul Kitt (to credit the designer)?

dave

Attachments

• kitt-b139-mlv.gif
    kitt-b139-mlv.gif
    23.5 KB · Views: 312
Thanks, Dave

planet10 said:
Paul's ML-V looks good enuff to get a drawing... once i tart it up (with permission) i'll add it to the virtual TLs on the TLS.org site... the name is Paul Kitt (to credit the designer)?

dave

I don't have drawing software so I have to scan in pencil drawings for emailing or posting. I really like the way you made the taper from side-to-side which allows easily locating the driver at the exact center of the line's length.

Per your suggestion on the optimum number of bits and colors to use for posting modeling graphs, I'll have to investigate further with my new software to see how to change that (I'm reallllllly slow in learning new computer stuff).

Edit: You have my permission to post this cabinet drawing on your site as virtual design and you can name it anything you want.

Hey planet 10 have you done any t-lines with the Fostex drivers you modified? If so like to know your impressions. I did mini t-line with Sony 2 1/2" cube drivers. I found cleaner sound then closed box but had to cross over to sub due to increased cone excursion that were too much for the drivers. Had to put inductor on drivers to eliminate 12.5khz peak so I added tweeter.

Attachments

• pictures. 012.jpg
    pictures. 012.jpg
    678.7 KB · Views: 200
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Hey planet 10 have you done any t-lines with the Fostex drivers you modified? If so like to know your impressions.

A few. In the case of the Fostex, the best were Mileva for the FE127eN and Demetri for FE207. Both can be pigeon holed into the subset of TLs called Mass Loaded Voigts. We haven't done any Metronomes but they are broadly similar. The diyRef ML-TLs we did weren't bad, but we'll probably end up repurposing those boxes.

dave

I'm happier about this one... room to do whatever you want up top.

dave

In an effort to shape a body of knowledge on what to watch and how to decide on a b139b enclosure, I ended up in here, staring at this drawing. It makes me wonder what is the reason behind, leaving a "blind" room before the driver? how one comes about its volume? since I have never seen the driver being positioned almost midway to the open end of the TL, I would like to hear you enlighten me a little, and possibly direct me to literature?! Is there any other reason for having positioned the baffle almost in the middle of the magnet of the driver? And lastly could you suggest a box for a TL enclosure? or should I just go for a sealed box much like a CS7? given that I have the drivers, a set of b110b and a set o t27s...as well
thank you for your time..
regards
angelo e

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
It makes me wonder what is the reason behind, leaving a "blind" room before the driver?

Not sure what you mean.

how one comes about its volume?

Not my design, but you do the sims, and iterate the volume until you get the response you like.

since I have never seen the driver being positioned almost midway to the open end of the TL, I would like to hear you enlighten me a little, and possibly direct me to literature?

An offset helps kill some of the unwanted ripple allowing for less damping and more terminus support at the bottom end of th epassband. Well documented by Martin King.

Is there any other reason for having positioned the baffle almost in the middle of the magnet of the driver?

Are you talking about the driver holey brace? This helps to tightly couple the drivers to macimize the advantages of push-push drivers.

And lastly could you suggest a box for a TL enclosure?

For the B139?

dave

re

Not sure what you mean.

Not my design, but you do the sims, and iterate the volume until you get the response you like.

An offset helps kill some of the unwanted ripple allowing for less damping and more terminus support at the bottom end of th epassband. Well documented by Martin King.

Are you talking about the driver holey brace? This helps to tightly couple the drivers to macimize the advantages of push-push drivers.

For the B139?

dave

q how does one do the sims?
also, I was asking about your opinion on wich would be a nice balanced enclosure for b139 and a b110 along with a t27 or perhaps a newer one. Would it be pro 9tl or MKII or even a cs7(?) or atkinson's SOTA...this kinda speaker. I am looking for a design to "house" the drivers I have, and I have very little knowledge of the technicalities involved in the "choosing" of a design. Thank you much for the time.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member

Martin King Sheets. Quarter Wavelength Loudspeaker Design

also, I was asking about your opinion on wich would be a nice balanced enclosure for b139 and a b110 along with a t27 or perhaps a newer one. Would it be pro 9tl or MKII or even a cs7(?) or atkinson's SOTA...this kinda speaker. I am looking for a design to "house" the drivers I have, and I have very little knowledge of the technicalities involved in the "choosing" of a design. Thank you much for the time.

O'd build one of the modern lines. Transmission Line Speakers

I'd also sell the B110/T27 and use one of the current crop of small full-ranges as a mid-tweeter.

dave

Martin King Sheets. Quarter Wavelength Loudspeaker Design

O'd build one of the modern lines. Transmission Line Speakers

I'd also sell the B110/T27 and use one of the current crop of small full-ranges as a mid-tweeter.

dave

you mean you would go for something like this one below?
http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/FAL/box-plans/classicTL-revisited-WD.pdf
also, you mean one driver from b139 all the way to 20k or so?
which one would that be? some focals?
and I most likely would have to use two of them ? for more db pressure?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Thank you so much Mr Moderator Man!
I guess I asked for it! hahahaha... anyways, there is a ton of info I will have to dig into!
As it seems for now, I will try compromising drives wise and stay with the base units I have, and so choose and possibly rearrange one of those designs. The major differences with the older designs seem to be the dividors, the positioning of the driver in the path of the line...etc
As for the b110 and the t27, since I have 'em along with the crossovers, I might as well put it together for the time being.
Thank you very much for sharing all this with me.
best regards
angelo e.

Hello Dave, hello everyone,
I have modeled this speaker and I would like to have a comment or two about it.
It is gonna be a b139b (since I already have those drivers). I followed some of the concepts you have put forth in this and other threads, about not too many folds, about slope around 6 degrees, about placing the driver 1/3 or so from the closed end...etc
Any input would be appreciated greatly.
BTW I started with a TL50 that id was way too "foldy" and it was too "accommodating" as a design and gave me the idea that I could come up with a little simpler and thus better config.
In this, the mid a b110b and a t27, will be sitting on separate box on top of it.
Do you think that 2.7m long tunnel is way too much?
do you think that 220 litters is also too much?

293060d1343231111-made-up-tl-design-any-comments-1.jpg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 146
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.