Machine translation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I noticed that 胆机 is translated as "bile"; as example: 老兵胆机发烧hifi becomes "Veteran bile machine fever hifi". I believe that the correct translation should be "tube amplifier"; this is the Google translate result. Baidu translation is "amps". "veteran" is another weird translation and I believe that on this context should mean "traditional". I was puzzled about the "fever" word, but you explained it pretty well.

Haha interesting! Thanks. Now I know where 'bile' comes from. You are right that 胆机 is tube amplifier. The reason why we Chinese call vacuum tube '胆' I guess is because it looks like the organ-gallbladder which in Chinese is 胆. So if you search 内胆(internal 胆)on taobao, you will find Dewarflask or inner container of a rice cooker. Also we call a soft ipad protection bag as 'internal胆bag' because it's vacuum and normally will be put inside your backpack.

老兵 literally does mean veteran, but here is just a brand’s name. There are als other Chinese velve amp brands under similar name, one named '老陈胆机’ another '老水牛胆机’, they probably copy each other I guess. 陈(Chen)is the family name of the designer. It's a tradition that we put 老(old) in front of a guy's family name especially between friends or the guy looks mature or experienced to give a more intimate feeling. So I guess the brand '老兵veteran' or '老水牛old buffalo‘ just try to give an impression of being experienced.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member

Attachments

• Bile-bladder-42.gif
    Bile-bladder-42.gif
    114.2 KB · Views: 130
It's quite logical. The bladder is something one can blow up. Think about the swimming bladder in the fish, that we as children found interesting to play with. There were many use of animals' bladder in the past. (After some Googling I found a reference to bota bag, pork bladder was used for storing tobacco, etc.) The glass envelope of a vacuum tube is also made by blowing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.