M&K MX5000 Amp

Hello, I’m new to this forum but found it while searching for thoughts on repairing an MX5000 amplifier. My issue started out as loud uncontrolled low frequency noise coming from the sub. I thought it might just be too much gain on the sub so I went to turn it down a bit. I got more of this noise when exercising the gain potentiometer so I thought it might be the issue. It showed as an A50K potentiometer so I ordered what I thought was a replacement. Turns out it was a B50K but I figured it was ok so I soldered it in. Well, it didn’t work and I found/ordered an A50K. I took out the B50K and soldered in the A50K and now I’ve got nothing. Occasionally I get some weird noises. I took it apart this evening just to look over everything and I don’t see any evidence of electrical damage on either of the circuit boards. I connected all the wires back up internally and and plugged it back in. Then got some chattering noise with no audio inputs. Hooked up audio inputs and nothing and the chattering has gone away. I do get a low frequency hum if I touch both the positive and negative terminals on the low level audio inputs. Is the amp dead? Is there anything I can easily check? Can I put some sort of steady state resistor in the place of the pot to just check it? I’ve learned that I can get a replacement plate amplifier which will probably solve my problems. However, I just want to make sure I exhaust all my options before doing this.

Thanks for any help that you can provide.