M-Audio Transit DC offset

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I was doing a new round of measurements last night and found that my M-Audio Transit USB sound card has high DC offsets.

The Right Out has 1.3V. The Right In has 2V. The soundcard was only connected to a desktop computer.

Upon the discovery, I connected a pair of cheap, active desktop computer loudspeakers and played a CD - the sound is normal and beautiful.

So I added an input capacitor to the preamp then did some measurements and they looked OK.

Is there something wrong with the soundcard? Have you measured yours?

Regards,
Bill

I did not measure it directly with a load, but I suspect you are right that the voltage dropped when connected to a load.

I initially discovered the problem when I measured 300mV from my power amplifier output to the speakers. I then switched off the power amp and preamp and then measured the soundcard outputs while the the R In was connected to the R Out. The measurement showed higher voltages (1.3V and 2V).

Since I have neither DC blocking capacitors in the preamp nor power amp, if the voltage did not get dropped with a load, I would have measured very high voltage, instead of 300mV, at the power amp output.

So what does that say?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
HiFiNutNut said:
<snip>

So what does that say?

Probably that you need coupling capacitors.. I have one of these as well that I use for audio measurements, but I use an outboard box which is ac coupled to connect it to the DUT. I posted a schematic somewhere here on diyaudio in the past that outlines the details of my interface box.

I haven't measured mine recently, but I have some vague recollection that there was some dc present on the output when connected to high impedance loads. It is likely that the coupling capacitors are a bit leaky and this in conjunction with dc coupling and a high input impedance in the following device could lead to offset issues.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.