Lynn Olson's ME2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Bas,

Converting from Imperial to metric is a real PITA. When we did the Ariel some we calculated and some we did to scale on a cutting board we made. The Ariels are no longer in use, and the drivers might be recycled into a set of ME2 for my brother's TV room soon, so I guess the process might repeat. Then again he does like the Peak (Coral) coaxes I have on my shelf.....

If you change the tweeter, the crossover won't work as Lynn designed it, and he put a LOT of effort ito it. I'd sell the Focals and buy the Scan myself. Build it stock, <i>then</i> modify has always worked well for me.

I haven't heard the ME2, but extrapolating from the two Ariels I've heard, it should be an excellent speaker. One of the most surprising things about the Ariels is their ability to portray the leading and trailing edges of a note as well as strong dynamics that are only let down when it tries to play really loud. After all there's only so much air 2 5" drivers can move.

Are you going to use these with your 813SE project?

Cheers
Brett

Bas Horneman

LaMa
You're right the Ariel is the floorstander. But I'm gonna build the ME2 as a floorstander. (Just for looks, and I don't want to bother with stands :)) Thanks for the Rotterdam Speaker and Co tip..pity the Haarlem branch don't have it.

Brett
The 813 SE is a future..future project. :) Right now I'm building a 6c41c SE (3 channel) so I'll need to build 3 ME2's.

So it's first the 6c41c SE then 7N7 preamp (6channel) then a 6AS7 headphone for my brother, then the ME2's then a pf86 phono preamp then2 channel 300b..and then the 813 SE..

But I like to do my research early... :)

Just hope my wife puts up withme

Thanks for your help so far...

Bas Horneman

I have quite specific reasons for wanting the ME2... one is that I have a 5watt or so tube amp. So I am looking for an efficient loudspeaker. The other is curiosity... (curiosity for d'appolito types and for Lynn's designs)

And I know what Brett is saying is right..I should lose the tweeters and get the spec'd tweeters. But I am quite stubborn..And who know's they might just work well. Then I'll have an ME2 with a twist... I can see it already on my webpage. ME2 WITH A TWIST...Bas Horneman improves on Lynn's Design..

Ahem..just kidding.

I'm in the process of building a 5.x set of Ariels & ME-2s for my video system (not to be confused with the main music system, which is a whole 'nother ball of wax). The 'x' in the 5.x? You didn't think I'd limit myself to only one sub, did you? Haven't decided how many I'll have yet. At least three, minimum.
I could, of course, go through the entire design process from scratch, but I'm not willing to put that much time ,effort, and money into the video system. I wanted a 'plug-and-play' solution. Heat up the table saw and go. The sooner I get this done, the sooner I can go back to the main system.
I don't have all the parts in yet--they're coming from different places--so I'm filling time by doing the woodworking. Yesterday and today I'm working on ME-2 fronts. I saw on one of the websites where someone used epoxy to glue the two layers together. I figured why not...I've got some epoxy on the shelf that's getting old. Nice excuse to use it up. Whether it's actually audible or not, I have no idea. Whether I use epoxy or standard wood glue for the other joints remains to be seen.
I would recommend sticking with the Scan-Speak tweeter, unless you intend to recalculate the crossover to match the new tweeter. Save your stubborness for a rainy day. You never know when you'll need a good batch of stubborn. It'd be a pity to use it all up on something like this.
The Ariels will give more bass, due to the transmission lines. The ME-2s are easier to build. The choice is yours. I see no reason not to build in integral stands for ME-2s if you like.
Metric to English conversion is nothing for a DIY critter: 2.54cm to the inch. Personally, I wish the US had gone to metric years ago, but they haven't elected me king of the world yet.

Grey

GRollins said:

Metric to English conversion is nothing for a DIY critter: 2.54cm to the inch. Personally, I wish the US had gone to metric years ago, but they haven't elected me king of the world yet.

Grey

Although I was brought up with metric system, personally, I prefer to use inches when working with wood. I can visualise things better, when I "think" inches.;)

Brett said:

If you change the tweeter, the crossover won't work as Lynn designed it, and he put a LOT of effort ito it. I'd sell the Focals and buy the Scan myself. Build it stock, <i>then</i> modify has always worked well for me.
Brett

Exactly, you should never modify a well designed and tested system. Build the real thing, listen to it and modify it if you think you can make it better. Sometime people are sentimentally attached to their project and they think it's sound good just because they spent 20 hours working on it. In your case you will have no point of comparison.

On another thread, I am trying to clone the Totem Arro. Even if I use similar drivers, crossovers, box, they won't sound as good as the real thing (maybe better but I would be suprised). But I have a way to do the comparison (with the real one).

I is just a matter of taste but for sure, it is more fun to build something that is close to the real design then building nothing :)

Ok..You've convinced me...I'll save my stubborness for a rainy day. And will use the focal's for the bedroom speakers...
Saves me from figuring out how to get the square focal assembly properly flush with the baffle.. :)

With a round tweeter this looks a lot simpler..just cut it out so that the screws..ehm the bolts can be fitted and rout out the right diameter.

I found out the conversion factor as well ...but I am so lazy..it would be great to have a little drawing in cm (tried and tested)..oh well..excel sheet here I come.

But how about using those new vifa tweeters with the little arrowhead in the tweeters... ;-) (Just kidding ofcourse)

Haven't built them -

but sure have done an awful lot of thinking about them -

This thread is full of some excellent comments -

I backed off because my HT is solid state - and due to concerns of the ME2 being voiced for tubes - While I am basically a tube guy - when it comes to that many channels tubes seem a little unwieldy to me.

Gray - I seem to remember you follow both sides of the street (tubes and SS) - what are you going with on the HT??

:D

Ken L

Both sides of the street, eh? I was tempted to make a joke about AC/DC, but that might give the wrong impression...
Yes, I like both tubes and solid sate. However, when it came to doing the 5.1 decoding and other such nonsense, I threw up my hands and bought a Pioneer Elite receiver (hence solid state). Saved a lot of hassle.
Yes, yes, yes...I know the Ariel/ME-2s were 'designed to mate with tube equipment.' Tough. I'll be using them with MOSFETs (I think that's what's in the Pioneer--probably class B, ugh...<i>sigh</i>)
Rest assured that I will eventually run the speakers with most every amplifier I have on hand, but main focus will be the video system.
Incidentally, I plan to run the crossover more 'up' in the midrange, as per various breadcrumbs left by Lynn in the writeup. I've had about all the BBC recessed mids that I need for now, seeing as how the front speakers in my AV setup are LS-3/5a's.
Long term plans include biamping--with a funny little twist I thought up--but that's another topic for another day.

Grey

Sorry for advertising here, but given the subject, it seems appropriate...

I have a pair of Ariels I would like to sell that I spent a rediculous amount of time on - if anyone's interested. Stands are lead filled with black granite tile and brass cones. All wool lining and stuffing. No compromise crossover components - Zens, Hoveland, etc. Cabs are cherry veneer over MDF with solid cherry accents.

I also have a matching (cherry veneer) transmission line subwoofer w/12" aluminum cone driver for sale. It's passive and currently being driven by a separate 250W amp w/x-over.
No pics of it yet.

The limiting factor is I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area and due to the 100+ lbs per piece, I can only sell them to the lucky one close enough to pick them up.

Why am I selling? I guess I like building/experimenting - I have two other speaker projects and a new subwoofer project in the works - and not enough room!

btw, 5 watts is *not* enough for Ariels/ME2's unless you have a small room. I'm running them with a pp 300B amp at ~20 watts.

cheers, -Brad-

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.