LX MINI...Yes?? No??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Account Closed
Joined 2001
The one with the Seas SL midbass. The little fullrange still wasn't great (over-damped), but overall I preferred the result of the monopole vs the LX mini's open (and larger) fullrange driver.

I always thought he went in the wrong direction. Should have been high freq.s as omni and as you move down the midrange: dipole (through to the bass).
Yeah, that's not the original version. The Pluto transitioned through three versions. The driver switch to the aluminum Seas encompassed versions two and three.

Cheers,

Dave.

Account Closed
Joined 2001
The speaker response is omni at lows, transitioning to monopole at highs with transitioning cardioid in between.
There is no dipole behaviour when both the drivers combine. The 6khz rear response mentioned by SL is a very small bandwidth and sufficiently down down as compared to front radiation.

No, I would characterize it more as a dipole at high frequencies. The range from 1-6khz (measured directly behind the speaker) is essentially at the same level as front radiation. Simply walking around the speakers while playing is sufficient to hear this.

That said, the diffusing action of the tweeter "baffle" and the stuffing in the tube do cause an interesting radiation pattern off-axis....so there is a noticeable transition in the power response that would not be "textbook." :)

The LXmini's have trade-offs, like all speakers, but nevertheless a very interesting and satisfying speaker to listen to with good program material.

Dave.

properly set up with excellent amplification the LX Mini's get there about as good as any speaker ever does. my one change is to use Mr. Pass's crossover and two rather large 18 inch H frame subs. Some people are never satisfied fully by just one set up but if I had to live with just one this would be it.

I built the LXmini about 5 years ago and upgraded them with Tom Christiansen's amplifiers (Mod 86 + Parallel 86) a bit later. The combination provides a very natural and satisfying listening experience. They are probably not a good choice if you like ear-splitting blow your hair back loud, I find them more suited to jazz, blues and classical than hard rock and the disaster that is pop music today will be revealed in its full misery.

probably the beaming from the fullrange driver.
i own the lxmini and the notion that these speakers do not collapse to one speaker when moving side to side is not true imo. where i have them setup only minor movements of my head on the couch make them collapse to one side.

I also own the lxmini. In my setup I find the complete opposite, I can sit considerably off center with no collapse of the stereo image.

i know they can work better in larger rooms, as for my apartment however it doesnt work, even though they are about a meter from rear and side walls. the funny part is that it doesnt happen the same way with any of my box speakers.
i can imagine pluto was better in this regard.

It depends on where the mid/tweets are pointing. If they are aimed at your ears in the sweet spot they collapse much less. I also have Pluto’s which have less directional tweeters. They are much less likely to collapse.

Both speakers have limited power output. This is due to limited woofer excursion. If you use a sub and high pass the mains LR4 at 80Hz you can get an extra 10dB out of them.
On the LX using a 4th order rather that a second order significantly lowers the mid/tweet distortion with only a small penalty in the polar pattern.

All speakers need to take the room acoustic into account. Some time ago Dave Wilson gave a good idea for positioning speakers in a room by using your voice and incrementally walking away from the wall to where the barrier reinforcement shifted to a clearer voice. The tactic works well and will help your LXMini's work quite well in a smaller room. My primary listening room is also rather small. A few inches can make a big difference.

All speakers need to take the room acoustic into account. Some time ago Dave Wilson gave a good idea for positioning speakers in a room by using your voice and incrementally walking away from the wall to where the barrier reinforcement shifted to a clearer voice. The tactic works well and will help your LXMini's work quite well in a smaller room. My primary listening room is also rather small. A few inches can make a big difference.

Absolutely. Voice works well because it is something we are very familiar with.

Pink noise is even better but requires you know exactly what it sounds like when it is right, something that comes with practice. A really good set of neutral headphones is a good reference. But it is boring!

Music very interestingly provides the least sensitive test. Speakers that sound the same playing music almost never do playing pink noise.

Unless your room is super small or has a low ceiling or nearby reflectors, (anything within 1M) and is a comfortable place to converse will probably provide a satisfactory place for the minis.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.