Luxman m02 lets rebuild

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I am making a PCB design of luxman M-02 for a friend.
I have made my sch and layout based on Veysel's schematic.
Could someone take a look and tell me if they see any flaw or corrections?

regards
prasi

PS. Schematic becomes too large when zoomed, so attaching a smaller one .

Attachments

• LUXMAN M02-LAY.png
    LUXMAN M02-LAY.png
    162.4 KB · Views: 323
  • LUXMAN M02-SCH-small.png
    LUXMAN M02-SCH-small.png
    44.3 KB · Views: 338
Last edited:
Hi Prasi,

If you are making a whole new design, from zero, why pick the M-02?

Your friend has listened to an M-02 and likes the sound of it? Because if that is not the case, I think I'd pick a different Luxman model, like the 5M21 or L10.

In the case of my recommendation for the 5M21, it is based on two things: I have listened to it many times, and the many simulations I have done with lots of Luxman models, including the M-02.

I never read any M-02 reviews, so maybe that's a factor your friend paid attention to, but the review I read for the 5M21, from the Italian "Suono" magazine, was superb. One of the best amplifiers they had reviewed.

I did carry our Bode plot simulations with it, and they were excellent too. And I got the lowest THD I could get from all the amps I tested, and that is at maximum power.

You could even use the pcb file you already have and adapt it for the 5M21.

Now about the pcb. Did you decide it on purpose to use a one-sided pcb, perhaps to do it at home?

Because if that is not the case I'd proceed differently. In fact that is what I plan to after I pass the prototype stage.

What I think should be done is use the original manuals for the pcb design. In those times they only used single sided pcbs. But I think, that with the current prices you can get from some Chinese pcb places, you may try double sided pcbs.

Doing that you could improve on the original pcbs, keeping the parts placings but shortening the distances between parts and eliminating wire bridges or long pcb traces.

Well, these are only suggestions, but you certainly have your own ideas.

Hi Carl,
Thank you for your detailed comments.
Yes, I will have a look at 5M21 also. But my friend is having a M-02 and its giving him issues and he probably likes the amp.
I will have a look at service manual and see if I can copy original design.

Regarding the single sided layout, Veysel already has built it and seems to work well, I did minor cosmetics and changed to LSK389.

regards
prasi

PS. I have a doubt about correctness orientation of "A" and "B" points as shown in sch and PCB. Could you answer it?
edit2: got the service manual. points A and B to be reversed in my schematic to use the string as a diode.
attached is the corrected.

Attachments

• LUXMAN M02-SCH-corr.png
    LUXMAN M02-SCH-corr.png
    27 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.