Lumenlab forum membership

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The plog section (387 or so projects) is a great section as is the section on intelligent projector design.

They have very detailed sections on (and not limited to):

DIY Home Theater Screens
COOLING THE BOX
Video scalers, TV boxes, composite/VGA converters
Reflectors and light engines
Lamp Wiring, Timers and Other Control Circuits
Keystoning
Focusing Mechanisms
Sources for lamps, fans and ballasts
INCOMPATIBLE monitors list
Light transmission in LumenLab projectors
Info on Stripping and Working with an LCD

A reference and turorial section on topics including:
wiring, FCC extension, Tempered Glass, ballasts, Metal Halide Lamp Q&A...

There's much much more as well...

Well worth the purchase

If you are going to build a serious projector than I would definitely get access to lumenlab. Brain is great for answering questions and runs a good forum. The best part about lumenlab is the member input and it is easier to find answers from other peoples experience.

I do think it's worth it

I joined for forum access, and think it's worth it, they are very organized, and friendly.
anyways check out thier free stuff, and in there you can clearly tell it's worth it.(most of the information can be found here, but you need to look for it, but overall i'd recommend using all your resources-forums)

This is a topic brought up every so often.

People bash LL claiming everything they have is free on the net, and they are partially correct.

Im an electronics engineer, from Purdue University. I payed some money for my education, WHY, I mean after all, Its all on the internet for FREE.

A person, that knows ABSOLUTLY NOTHING about DIY projects, I mean NOTHING. Can learn way way way faster from the LumenLab quide than they can researching posts trying to peice the puzzle together themselves. Sure for those of us, that understand the concept of the current state DIY projector, the LL guide seems to contain low information. It is a newbie guide, which is good because there isnt a better newbie quide out there.

The money you pay, gets you into the FORUMS, where the price pays off.

For a comparison, DIYPC forums have had about 4-5 new plog/results entry over the past month. Lumelan has had more than double that in the past 3 days. Flat out, LL has more activity, and more results for people to look at.

When I got into DIY projection, I didnt have alot of time nor money to spend on some questionably tried and true methods. I knew the big screen fresnel lenses were a scam, and I knew I wanted something better than an OHP with a LCD duck taped to it. I wanted to build something that I knew was a sound build and design, with any doubts and question in my mind if it worked or not.

Ill leave, with a few pictures of my creation, that I owe mainly not to just brainchild of LL, but mostly the forum members that provide great ideas and information

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

People bash LL claiming everything they have is free on the net, and they are partially correct.

Partially correct? 100% correct

Take a few hours to read through the threads here jot down notes and you have all you need. At least doing it this way you won't end up with a 3 an a 1/2 foot box taking up residence in your lounge room, haha reminds me of a thread on LL i was shown awhile back, the 'projector' the hubby worked so hard on and made wasn't allowed in the house had to reside in the basement because the wife said it was too damn big and ugly to be in the lounge room! I have built 2 PJ's from the information on diyAudio after having absolutely no knowledge.

Im an electronics engineer, from Purdue University. I payed some money for my education, WHY, I mean after all, Its all on the internet for FREE.

Building a projector differs a little from an Engineering degree don't you think? Then again if you are comparing it in the first place I guess you don't! I find it extremely hard to believe a person with an Engineering degree is unable to piece together a little information and understand how a projector works after a couple of hours reading which you had to do anyway!

For a comparison, DIYPC forums have had about 4-5 new plog/results entry over the past month. Lumelan has had more than double that in the past 3 days. Flat out, LL has more activity, and more results for people to look at.

Heard the old saying its quality not quantity? From the projectors I have seen come out of LL this saying has never been more correct.

I didnt have alot of time nor money to spend on some questionably tried and true methods

HAHAHA Thats funny ! I have seen some absolute shockers on the free section of the LL forum, that alone would have been enough to persuade me too look elsewhere for advice if thats the results I could expect from purchasing the plans (I still can't get over the 'Norpro' bowl for a reflector, funny ****... lets all toast our lamps and buy new ones off Brain, great Idea that one Brain!)

For the record im not 'bashing' LL ...well maybe I am a little, simply put the information is right here in this forum, IMHO better SMALLER projectors (we don't all have rooms that will accomadate a coffin like box) If you take the time to read the forum (which you would have to do anyway if you went to LL and bought the plans and access to their forum!)

Finally to my knowledge Brain pays for the hosting of diyAudio (i know he used to ) I have seen several things on diyAudio by some of the older members in particular Ace2000 that have shown up on LL and passed off as 'their own' ideas, I can see why Brain would want to keep this forum alive!

Makes no difference to me if you waste your cash, personally I would save it and use it to put towards components for a projector.

Thats my two cents worth... I expect I will get a flaming from the LL lovers amongst you so be it, to them I say sit back rest your feet and your coffee on your wonderfully HUGE LL designed PJ as you squeeze into the room next to it and watch a good movie :)

Partially correct? 100% correct

Your missing the point on that one, Everything here is scatter all over the place, and NOT assembled in a nice organized fashion. Simple as that. There may be some organization involved in that Wiki, but that is relatively NEW.

Take a few hours to read through the threads here jot down notes and you have all you need. At least doing it this way you won't end up with a 3 an a 1/2 foot box taking up residence in your lounge room, haha reminds me of a thread on LL i was shown awhile back, the 'projector' the hubby worked so hard on and made wasn't allowed in the house had to reside in the basement because the wife said it was too damn big and ugly to be in the lounge room! I have built 2 PJ's from the information on diyAudio after having absolutely no knowledge.

Thats the whole point of it right there. Take a few hours here, assemble some notes, and you will have all the information you need. I make alot more than $20/Hour, so for me, and for most people, there time is better spent just paying for the quide, that way they dont have to SIFT through alot of posts trying to peice the puzzle together

Congrats, on your TWO PJ's I too have completed two as well, and I did it from the info on LL. As to the Size of the Box, are you kidding me. Can you make a 15" PJ smaller?? What about the OHP projectors plastered all over this place? Are those NOT ugly? Ive been around these DIY projector sites for quite some time now, and I cant recall a story about some guys wife not allowing him to keep it, but I suppose she opted for an attractive OHP instead?

Building a projector differs a little from an Engineering degree don't you think? Then again if you are comparing it in the first place I guess you don't! I find it extremely hard to believe a person with an Engineering degree is unable to piece together a little information and understand how a projector works after a couple of hours reading which you had to do anyway!

Of course it differs, but that doesnt mean someone shouldnt pay for a quide, besides its not even the guide a value. Ive been lurking these forums for a long time, and the LL for a long time. There is alot more info on LL. Lumenlab is far more organized, and you can choose to believe more or not, but a member starting from scratch, can learn the basics and peice the knowledge together much faster from reading the LL quide to grasp the basic concept.

Heard the old saying its quality not quantity? From the projectors I have seen come out of LL this saying has never been more correct.

are you kidding again. Quality of quantity. Your right. In this case DIYprojectorcompany is lacking both QUALITY and QUANITY. I Believe nothing good has been posted the LAST MONTH at DIYPC.

HAHAHA Thats funny ! I have seen some absolute shockers on the free section of the LL forum, that alone would have been enough to persuade me too look elsewhere for advice if thats the results I could expect from purchasing the plans (I still can't get over the 'Norpro' bowl for a reflector, funny ****... lets all toast our lamps and buy new ones off Brain, great Idea that one Brain!)

HAHAHA that is funny ..... its the FREE forum. What the HELL does a norpro have to do with toasting a lamp. It is a spherical reflector. A norpro doesnt do any more damage to the center arc of an HID light than any other reflector will do. BTW, the NORPRO was never sold by brain, an OFF site, private seperate retailer sold those.

For the record im not 'bashing' LL ...well maybe I am a little, simply put the information is right here in this forum, IMHO better SMALLER projectors (we don't all have rooms that will accomadate a coffin like box) If you take the time to read the forum (which you would have to do anyway if you went to LL and bought the plans and access to their forum!)

By all means, you should open your own site if you know how to build a 15" projector any smaller. The COFFINS at DIYPC.com are just as large, when designed for a 15". The options arent vast for at least a 1024x768 in smaller than 15" flavors. There are some alternatives, but not alot.

Finally to my knowledge Brain pays for the hosting of diyAudio (i know he used to ) I have seen several things on diyAudio by some of the older members in particular Ace2000 that have shown up on LL and passed off as 'their own' ideas, I can see why Brain would want to keep this forum alive!

You need to get your facts straight. Your speaking of JoeWerp, and when he showed the LightBOX, his thread clearly stated that he got the idea from this website. That was the very first thing he said. Lumenlab never took credit for it, Lumenlab never endorsed it. Its NOT in the quide, and JoeWerp has been the only person Ive seen even post pictures or claimed to have made one.

Makes no difference to me if you waste your cash, personally I would save it and use it to put towards components for a projector.

Thats my two cents worth... I expect I will get a flaming from the LL lovers amongst you so be it, to them I say sit back rest your feet and your coffee on your wonderfully HUGE LL designed PJ as you squeeze into the room next to it and watch a good movie :)

Seems to me, your having some confidence issues. do you maybe feel inferior?? Do you feel like your product isnt up to snuff. Look at the picture of the case I posted in the above picture, Does it look bad?? Does it look like a coffin?

Can you make a 15" PJ smaller

No I can't and I doubt anyone can AND for the record I never said I could.

but that doesnt mean someone shouldnt pay for a quide

Again... I never said people shouldn't buy the guide, I merely stated the information is availbale for free why pay for it? You said LL info is grouped together...isn't that like the 'stickies' on this forum?

In this case DIYprojectorcompany is lacking both QUALITY and QUANITY

Yet again ... you have miss quoted me, I never once mentioned the DIYprojectorcompany wouldn't know what quality they have your telling the story here im afraid. As for the quality here on DIYaudio take a look at Ace2000's work... enough said there for the arguement of quality..

It is a spherical reflector

Its a bowl for putting food in but correct me if im wrong, I just have never seen it advertised or sold as spherical reflector by the manufactor. Im sure this precision made 'spherical reflector' is optimal in reflecting light and heat away from the lamp (in its standard un-cut form) As it has a 'mirror' finish doesn't it? must be supurb...make icecream slide out of it easier I should imagine :) I shouldn't have wasted 30 bucks on the precision made mirror finished spherical reflector... I stand corrected thankyou for pointing this out to me and others here :) As for Brain selling them my mistake...again, he only suggests people use them.

By all means, you should open your own site if you know how to build a 15" projector any smaller. The COFFINS at DIYPC.com are just as large

As i have already stated earlier I never said I could (nor would i want to for that matter... maybe a 15-17 inch LCD in a rear projection build I might consider) and never once mentioned DIYPC.com i think your confusing me with somebody else here. As for a website I do have one and there is a guide on building a PJ using a 7 inch lilli LCD... oh and its free :)

You need to get your facts straight.

Well considering you have mis-quoted me 4 times allready I understand your frustration with my comments about Brain. I was simply passing on information presented to me by an Admin of THIS forum. thats DIYaudio forum...not to be confused with this DIY projector company you seem to be getting muddled up wtih me apparently talking about :)

Its NOT in the quide, and JoeWerp has been the only person Ive seen even post pictures or claimed to have made one.

JoeWerp would be the man who cut the box down into something less coffin like and came up with the shape you are using in your PJ wasn't he? Had his projector hanging from the ceiling in a bakery ? If he is the fella im thinking of he isn't the only one using a lightbox on LL. Search back 18 months or so. I have no problem with anyone using anything from this forum in the first place thats what this forum is for and its FREE :) And as Brain isn't the man paying for hosting (according to your good self) of this forum, is now a non issue.

Seems to me, your having some confidence issues. do you maybe feel inferior?? Do you feel like your product isnt up to snuff. Look at the picture of the case I posted in the above picture, Does it look bad?? Does it look like a coffin?

Ahhh yes you got me well done, I have a confidence issue because my projector isn't as BIG as those on LL... You have convinced me to buy the guide and build a 3 foot box and plonk it in the middle of my loungroom, I won't have any more 'confidence' issues at least, but will lose a crap load of floor space...guess its a fair trade off and i do need a new coffee table (just would have preferred something a little smaller to place my coffee on. Scubasteve, not sure what a 'snuff' is in relation to a PJ though, thought snuff was a powdered tobacco...in which case I would have to say nope, my PJ isn't 'upto' snuff....thankfully. As for you projector im glad your happy with it but lets be honest it doesn't represent the majority of the LL boxes now does it? Well...not on the outside anyway, do we all have to pay to see the inside of it on LL do we?

For those that think buying the guide is worth it go for it, it's well worth it :) <--- happy now Scubasteve :)

Now you will have to excuse me, im off to find a forrest to cut down so i have enough wood to build the LL PJ :p

LOL

You can say what you want, but the fact remains LL must be doing something right. You obviously arent a member there, so you would know from direct experience.

I checked out your site, and you seem to have a nice build going, except for the LCD you screwed up. But youve spent quite the heavy dime. My entire PJ, cost about the price of your Lilliput, but it doesnt matter.

My lounge room is plenty big enough to accomodate my coffin, and since enough time was taken to have it milled on a CNC router, and its stained to match the custom european furniture it looks pretty good.

You see, the problem is this. You make assumptions. You stated things that arent true, and you actually dont know what your talking about. your Not a Member at LL, so why proceed to act like you know what your talking about.

We can go back and forth all day and what you think to be off a good value or what not.

Based on your opinons, of the only good projector being a small one then 90% of the PJs here are garbage because they arent of a small form factor.

BTW, does anyone have a collection of ACE's work. I really dont have the desire to motion through 200 pages of that one thread to finally find the pictures of his finished case, and results photos.

As for your reflector, HOW could it reflect light AWAY from the lamp. You want the reflected light to converge on the Center arc of the lamp. Since its reflecting the light AWAY from the lamp, where is it going, Behind the box, on top of it, or perhaps underneath? That must be some really good reflector. It doesnt matter if it was intended to be a bowl, an ice cream scoop, or a door bell. If it has a polished surface and its perfectly spherical it does the job. Youll pay that much money for a precision tuned reflector, for a lamp that doesnt have tiny 4-10mm arcs. Whats the point in that. I could see if it was elliptical or parabolic, but not spherical.

Again, Ive been a member at LL and lurking here for almost 2 years. Since you know more than LL than I do, please tell me who else on LL the specifically made a lightbox like ACE. If they have, they never posted on LL saying so.

My Enclosure is not inspired by Joe Werp, its considerably different with its stand, and slide top. Not to mention the curvature of it. You can say what you want, but I feel that I have pretty good pics posted above, and Im not the best a picture taking. I feel the majority of LL has better looking pictures than I do.

I apologize for my last paragraph above, I shouldnt have said those things about you. You seem to do pretty decent work, but I think you do have a problem where you like to cut on, or put other peoples work down. You know that LL puts out alot of nice stuff. I did my homework before I decided to click the button buying the quide (I was a poor college student at the time) so the $20 was somewhat of a big deal to be spending on a PDF file. I coulda brought me lunch for nearly a week. But I took the plunge, and of all 3 sites, LL, DIYPC, and this one DIYaudio. LL is by far the most informative with not only information but with detailed images and advanced conversation with areas directly related to DIY PJ.

We unquestionably have the MOST, and just to make you happy, Qualitated information on DIY screens (Mississippi Man or whatever from AVS, has headed our DIY screen forums, which his knowledge of his tried and true Light Fussion screens), not to mention the other detailed how too's on making an effective screen on a stand, and SEPULTURAs motorized aspect ratio screen.

Im bowing out of this arguement now. Ill leave in closing for anyone else considering LL.

The $20 is worth it. Ive been there along time, and have built 2 PJ's with the knowledge from there. (see pics above). The forums are worth it, they are more organized and they contain the same information here and other places. The plus side with LL is its activity. You will get answers to your posted questions faster on there, because alot more people browse the forums than the DIY projector forums here. You will see alot more detailed pictures to assist your build. You wont regret your purchase.

The LL design is followed much closer over there. The masses dont deviate to far, so when your considering on taking the plunge into DIY, you can clearly see what is unquestionably tried and true. here on DIYaudio you will see more variance. If your the experimental type then you will find more info here, as there isnt a NORM.

Well... I said it before and i'll say it again as you seem to have missed it
For those that think buying the guide is worth it go for it, it's well worth it

Oh..and the reason for the high cost in my build...I live in Australia prices here are outrageous compared to U.S and Europe... for example the much used Benq monitors are over 500 bucks here in OZ.

As you said we could go back and fourth all day so for me personally LL aint a good option for others to lazy to do a little research, it is :)

p.s I got the lilli fixed by a technician, 40 bucks so wasn't all bad.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.