LR2 2x 8" PEERLESS HDS EX + XT25 (VERIFICATION)

GREETINGS FELLAZ!

FULL UPDATE 5/22/2023
I've stumbled upon a real hidden gem: http://labs.fprawn.com/index.php/fpgraphtracer/
Xsim is now a breeze.
Having a Dayton tester is the icing on the cake!
thanks to it, my build literally leveled up!

2x 8" PEERLESS HDS EX PARALLEL 110 LITERS PORTED TO 33HZ
1x HERTZ HD500 1.5" DOME MIDRANGE
1x XT25TG30

3 OHM LOAD

ANY ISSUES HERE?

PEERLESS 830884 x2 PARRALLEL + HD500 HERTZ + XT25TG30 PART 2.jpg
PEERLESS 830884 x2 PARRALLEL + HD500 HERTZ + XT25TG30.jpg
HERTZ HD500 CROSSOVER  (15uf 0.82mh).jpg
XT25TG30 CROSSOVER  (5.6uf 0.19mh).jpg
hertz-hd-500-hd500_num-4-pid-180.jpg
hertz-hd-500-hd500_num-3-pid-180.jpg
xt25tg30-04_2.jpg
dual peerless.jpg
PEERLESS 830884 x2 PARRALLEL CROSSOVER  (0.59mh 40uf + ZOBEL R10 20uf).jpg

Attachments

• 3 WAY 2nd ORDER + ZOBEL (HIGH SENSITIVITY) (3 OHM LOAD).dxo
    113.9 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
I don't want to be seen as rude, but the project seems flawed in more than one way.
Biggest problem is that a TWW configuration only works for a 2.5 way. A TWW 2 way suffers from the fact that the bottom woofer is too far from the tweeter to integrate correctly.
Other problems, in not particular order: it seems you don't have used the FR of the tweeter in the waveguide, and this is wrong, you set the delay between drivers at zero, and I'm not sure it is correct even with a waveguided tweeter, the WG used would best be used with a smaller mid (5" max 6"), you should set an acoustic LR2 slope at the same crossover point (I'd opt for 2KHz maximum), the choice of 830884 and XT together (even in a waveguide) is IMHO sub-optimal.
What I'd do is a 3-way with the 830884 as woofer, a good 5" mid crossed to the XT in the WG. Acoustic LR2 crossovers.

Ralf

Reactions: 1 users
Giralfino, you're very welcome with your thoughts!
So the MAIN issue, is crossover asymmetry. Even though they are both LR2 electrically, they are not at the same point, and this is an error, correct?

I have a set of HERTZ HD500 dome midranges. They have high sensitivity, peaky, just like my waveguides, but I'm sure I can integrate them properly!
I'll use http://labs.fprawn.com/index.php/fpgraphtracer/ to make a custom FRD / ZMA files for them, and will post and update asap.
Any more thoughts?
hertz-hd-500-hd500_num-4-pid-180.jpg

While the directivity match might not be 100% with this waveguide, it’s not really, really bad. But you have your low pass set up wrong. The series coil is far too big, leading to a preliminary level drop. IOW your baffle step correction is implemented wrongly. And this setup only would work for a WTW design. 2,5 way would help for sure, but you still might need a more complex low pass than this simple 2nd order network.

At the end it doesn't matter whether you use an electrical LR2 (or LR4 or whatever) or not, because what matters is the acoustical response of the drivers that follows the LR2 slopes or not. You need to tune the acoustical responses of the drivers with whatever filtering method you choose, to follow the acoustical target curves (yours is LR2 here).

Reactions: 1 user