Lowther PM8A?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm being offered a pair of Lowther PM8A. But I've never heard about this model before, so I worry if it's really a new model of Lowther A series. My another question is which type of enclosure is suitable for this driver (I'm wavering between Fidelio and MauhornIV). Please give me some info and recommendation on this matter. Thanks!

Lowther PM8 Question

I'm being offered a pair of Lowther PM8A. But I've never heard about this model before, so I worry if it's really a new model of Lowther A series. My another question is which type of enclosure is suitable for this driver (I'm wavering between Fidelio and MauhornIV). Please give me some info and recommendation on this matter. Thanks!
Hi, did a quick check on the Lowther site and the PM8A is the next speaker up in the Alnico line up from the PM6A which i have a pair of.
I have a pair of Fidelios which work great with the PM6As and
probably with the PM8As too (but I haven't heard that combination
so couldn't say for sure).
I haven't heard the Mauhorns so can't give an opinion there.
I use the Fidelios in a 4m x 6.4m (13' x 21') room, near the corners.
They are fabulous but roll off in the lower bass.
Piano, jazz, pop are fine but for big orchestral and organ music you'll need one or two (i use two) subs to fill out the lowest octave.

kevin

There are 2 plans for the Fidelio, depending on the depth of the driver. So if you make it, then make sure to use the right plan. Hence, as I wrote above, just ask the company what they recommend.

A horn that seems interesting, provided you have the space, is the Big Fun horn. It was not designed for a particular Lowther.

All your advises are very useful for me. I asked the seller for cabinet suggestion and they gave me two choices: Fidelio and TP1. So I think I will go straight to Fidelios, because the TP1s are too complicated to build (I thought about Mauhorns before because of their impressive dimension and they are also quite easy to build). Hope Fidelio will be a good match with the PM8A, as Kevin estimated above. Thank you all for your help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.