Lowther Alerion plans available?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi folks,

I've got a pair of Lowther C45 and I'm looking for an suitable enclosure, a small Horn designs as Lowther Alerion. I searched through the hole internet but didn't find a plan or a pic from the inside
I like to hear them in an original Lowther / Cain design before I design my own cabinet.
Have you guys a plan of the Alerion? It would be also OK if you have some tips / suggestions about the design:
Is it a _simple_ back loaded horn or are there also some coupling chambers or s. th. like that?
Dimensions are H 39" (1m), W 8.5" (23cm), D 14.5" (50cm), correct?

Thanks in advance

Thorsten

Being as Jon Ver Halen's Lowther America site states them as a Terry Cain design and construction, I'd be surprised if they didn't follow the general topology of a Nagaoka BLH - likely nothing too esoteric such as hidden Hemholtz resonance traps, a la Fidelio, asymmetric bifurcated designs such as the Bicors, etc.

But short of a set of as built drawings with Terry or Jon's signatures, it's probably all conjecture - a fun sport in its own right, of course.

I believe the C45 has been recently cited as a viable candidate for a version of Frugel-Horn XL design, which comes close to the height and width dimensions quoted for the Alerion, but is approx 40mm deeper, and with its functional rear mouth requires additional real estate behind to properly couple with the room.

Right. In an ideal world, I'd like to make a few more changes to optimise things than just that, but given that the 5in Lowthers aren't exactly the most popular drive units around (pity we don't see more of them -IMO they're Lowther's best offerings) I'm not sure it would be worth us doing a refined / dedicated variation. I might do one anyway, 'just because'. ;)

OK- I can see that I read the posts on other thread too quickly and conflated which design was deemed eligible - but if Thorsten or anyone else would like to ship us a pair of the Lowthers, I'd be happy to hack together a pair of enclosures and try them out for a few months;)

Thanks for your answers so far.

The FH3 is Frugal Horn Mk3?

The Speakers in my room are standing in front of big windows and there is not too much space. As I can see in the pics all the other guys have them in the middle of the room - impossible for me.
so I decided to build an front opening BLH like Alerion.
I've the C45 in an OB for now with an dipole Sub as assistance. I like the mids and treble but there is a lack in mid bass. (Driven active with F3 for C45 and 4CH Class D for Sub)

thx

Thorsten

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The Speakers in my room are standing in front of big windows and there is not too much space. As I can see in the pics all the other guys have them in the middle of the room

Thorsten,

Ideally, the Frugel-Horns are placed at least near the wall behind them or in a corner. These barriers act as extentions to the horn mouth, making it reach effectively lower in frequency.

dave

Thorsten - as Dave notes, depending on which drivers are employed, the FH3 may want to be near corners - I like to recommend placement as close to symmetrical in relation to side walls as room / furnishings permit.

I've heard a fair number of drivers in the FH3, and those that by design are intended to use some type of BLH or other method of bass reinforcement - such as Fostex FE126, and presumably the Lowthers - want to be closer the the corners in this enclosure than say the FF125WK, or any of the Mark Audio drivers.

Thank you guys for the suggestions so far.

Placing the FH into the corners is also impossible in my room, because then they are to far away from my listening position.
On the other hand, I went to full range among others because of their bundling and due to this less of treble reflexions of hard walls around (with no furnitures, only flowers and plants)

I'll figure it out your suggestions and may be the 1st attempt will be the FH.

Thanks a lot

Thorsten

Hi folks,

I've got a pair of Lowther C45 and I'm looking for an suitable enclosure, a small Horn designs as Lowther Alerion. I searched through the hole internet but didn't find a plan or a pic from the inside
I like to hear them in an original Lowther / Cain design before I design my own cabinet.
Have you guys a plan of the Alerion? It would be also OK if you have some tips / suggestions about the design:
Is it a _simple_ back loaded horn or are there also some coupling chambers or s. th. like that?
Dimensions are H 39" (1m), W 8.5" (23cm), D 14.5" (50cm), correct?

Thanks in advance

Thorsten
I have this one long ago. I will give you when I find it.
Ha

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.