Lowering efficiency

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
My horn speakers are very efficient and I'm getting a small amount of hum coming through from my Sun 2a3 amp. Will I loose any sound quality if I put a simple fixed LPad on them to lower efficiency a bit? It's not bad but we're always looking for improvements. With drivers and xover the impedance is around 16ohm and I wouldn't mind dropping this a bit through the LPad if possible.
Main thing is I don't want to loose any of the 2a3's beautiful music.

Thoughts please.

Cheers

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The noise doesn't increase with volume that why I thought LPad might work.

So just a resistor in series? Simple as that? Might try it, nothing to loose.

Yup, simple as that.
It will force you to turn the volume higher, but if the hum is constant, not depending on the volume setting, this may help.
Start with 8, go up to 30 ohm and see.
Good luck.

I'm with the fix the hum bunch, actually.

Your amplifier's output is pretty modest. I personally would increase the size of the 47 µF ÷ 500 V capacitor (following the choke, on the right) to a 220 µF device; while changing devices, I'd also change the 'front end power supply capacitor' from its 47 µF at 350 V to 470 µF, 350 V. They're only about $6.00 ea on Mouser.

That is, of course, if I got the right Sun 2A3 schematic.

⋅-⋅-⋅ Just saying, ⋅-⋅-⋅
⋅-=≡ GoatGuy ✓ ≡=-⋅

While you are at it lower the input cap to 22uF to give the 5U4 a break.

metric
metric
metric
metric
metric
metric
metric
metric
metric
metric
metric
metric
metric
metric
metric
metric

Last edited:
Thanks guys, not sure I get which ones to change. One is saying increase capacitors and someone else says reduce to give the 5u4 a break.

The first cap after the tube rectifier (5U4) needs to be within the specs of a 5U4....going bigger stresses the tube and it can arc over......sometimes toasting the tube. Going smaller makes life for the 5U4 easier....it's been years but I think that a 47uf after the 5U4 is well within spec for typical 2A3 B+ voltages.

The caps after the first one can get larger to potentially reduce hum and make a stiffer power supply.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.