• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Low voltage rectifiers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This may be a bit of a strange question, but I was wondering if anyone knew of any tube rectifiers that operate at lower voltages. I'm working on a variable DC (~0-15V, around 15W) power supply for a friend that's really adamant about having tubes on there. I have no issues with going with solid state regulators, or really any other part of the circuit, I'd just like to have some tubes in the circuit. I was also thinking maybe using a valve voltage regulator if I can't come up with some rectifiers.
Thanks all!

Well 15 watts at 15 volts is an amp so you would need a serious mercury rectifier. You'll still get 10-15 volts drop across each tube so that must be taken into account. Don't forget the filaments will probably draw around 10 amps each.

I suppose you could use some 6C33s as rectifiers but suffer from a higher voltage drop. Those draw some hefty heater current as well.

Theres always tungar rectifiers but you may have problems finding a reliable supply of them.

The most sensible option is using a low voltage pentode as the error amplifier for solid state pass devices.

astouffer said:

The most sensible option is using a low voltage pentode as the error amplifier for solid state pass devices.

Or a VR tube as a pilot light...

Actually, I had forgotten - there's a 1938 Thordarson booklet on my web page, which includes a 32V 3A power supply. It has 8 - '83 rectifiers, a 16 pound transformer and 11 pound choke and two 4 pound filament transformers (what do you expect from a transformer company...) http://www.audiophool.cjb.net/Misc/Thord_RSG_38.djvu

You could just use a silicon diode bridge and hook up a 5Y3's heater for looks. Cheating, I know, but your buddy's adamant about having tubes on this LV supply.

As stated before, your other choices are a hot, power-hungry mercury rectifier that's going to take days to heat up, or scarce tungar tubes that will be nigh-impossible to replace.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.