Low Forward Drop Diode for Baker Clamp - Suggestions?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
all the silicon diodes I salvage from PCAT switcher supplies and the like have about .450 v voltage drop. 1n4148 are still .7 v. Low loss is great for switcher supplies. I don't know how you buy one. 6A6 from diodes inc is reading .423 v on the DVM
Low current 40 v schottky diodes BAT48 read .195 on the meter but 100 v HTE5L100 (multicomp) reads .175 v. Perhaps 2 of the latter in series for .350 v?
100 ma voltage drops will obviously be higher.

If you want a low forward voltage pick a high current diode. forward voltage depends on current density, high current diodes have a lower current density for a fixed current than signal diodes.

Also the 4148 can't handle 100V reliably.

Schottky diodes and high voltage aren't a great combination, the reverse leakage rockets with temperature and reverse thermal runaway is a distinct possibility unless its heatsinked.

As for germanium, even worse.

Last edited:
Schottky diodes may be problematic for Baker clamp duty because of higher leakage - same is true for germanium diodes. Larger silicon diodes, though they will have lower drop, will also have higher capacitance, so you'd be adding extra nonlinear Miller capacitance to your VAS stage. BAV19 or BAV21 might be suitable.

If you are Baker clamping to begin with you are destroying the saturation capability of the VAS transistor, guaranteeing a high voltage drop. Schottky or germanium diode clamp diodes risk spuriously turning on the VAS transistor simply due to their leakage component at elevated temperatures. The only place where one routinely got away with using Schottky Baker clamps was in the S and LS series of TTL logic, limited to a Vcc of 5V.

My suggestion is to use the low capacitance silicon diodes and eat the losses, elevating the supply voltage somewhat if necessary to make up for the loss in voltage drive.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.