low distortion 12" choices for open baffle application

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You do realize that John's post was dated 2008.

Take a look at FaitalPro drivers (available from Parts Express in the US) for high sensitivity options.

Also carefully review the sensitivity performance across the frequency region you wish to use. The single number spec for high sensitivity drivers may not be adequately reflect their performance at lower frequencies.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2015
correct post

I am testing a Faital 12 inch, target xover : 1500hz but from 700hz to 1200hz the 3rd Harmonic predominant 10db over the 2nd Harmonic, the problem of the PRO woofer is that is very normal to see that the 3rd Harmonic is very predominant in the midrange range as Beyma 12br70, 12g40 or faital, the solution is difficult the 3rd Harmonic D at 900hz begin with the Fundamental at 225hz 2dn HD ar 450hz and 3rd HD at 900hz, I tried to xover at 900hz and I did but the 3rd HD follow there.

In my opinion the 12 inch over 95db with MMS <70g begin to have structural complications, paper cones need mandatory additives as resin to increase the performances, in other case it can not keep the resonances under control, same amateur constructor use Polyvinyl glue or white glue ( for wood) to try to increment this performances in my tests the polyvinyl glue only increment the weight and reduce same db, but not performances.

About the surround for me is not clear what is better Omega or M surround, JBL use Omega and Tanoy use M, and with the coil what is better copper or AL..... who knows.

Is difficult to buy a woofer without all information, the information that all companies give are small. I think that the rules to have a good woofer with low distortion IMO start at:

Clean Impedance curves
Clean Phase curves ( difficult to find )
Sensitivity <95
MMS >70g

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.